Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69626 times)

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #525 on: December 19, 2017, 09:20:11 PM »
So will there be enough active members (and thus enough content & discussion) to merit paying the subscription? I don't know. I'm pretty sure that unless the fee is quite low, at least some of the members I follow will leave. And if the fee is low, how can enough money be generated? I guess I will wait and see but as of now I am feeling pessimistic about it.

Exactly

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #526 on: December 19, 2017, 10:35:21 PM »
Feeling glum- all the chat about making the site subscription only seems like the death knell to me.  I will try to keep going with my plan [all those patterns and piles of fabric need to be used] but I suppose I'll end up just keeping it all on my blog...what a poop! :'(

I suppose we could link up via FB?  There's a dressmaking Bloggers network already, something for SWAP alone could be fun?
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #527 on: December 19, 2017, 11:23:24 PM »
I'm not involved in SWAP but follow all your efforts religiously. SWAP and what would happen to it were my first thoughts on reading the announcement.

It's certainly put a damper on things.  :(
Sewing in Cheshire

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #528 on: December 19, 2017, 11:55:53 PM »
CCL" Right now I am wearing the dress over Smartwool tights and knee high socks.  (Obviously, I wouldn't be wearing these out in public, but it's a tad cold today!)" Why not, that looks very dressy, you should see what they wear out in WV. I can't do pictures, it's the last post, so far, at:

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=1138.0

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:58:10 PM by Diane in WV »
Let's talk about math

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #529 on: December 20, 2017, 02:01:40 AM »
Feeling glum- all the chat about making the site subscription only seems like the death knell to me.  I will try to keep going with my plan [all those patterns and piles of fabric need to be used] but I suppose I'll end up just keeping it all on my blog...what a poop! :'(

I suppose we could link up via FB?  There's a dressmaking Bloggers network already, something for SWAP alone could be fun?

Chin up Dearie! Don't be glum....this is an opportunity! (Self pep talk there.) SO, yes, maybe a Facebook group? I'd actually join Facebook to keep in touch with all you lovelies, no matter what the outcome here. I don't want to have to actually use my blog.....  ;)

And you know, The Sewing Place seems mighty friendly...complete with fish slapping.  ;D I know you and other members belong there too. They seem to like sewalongs & competitions, so it's a real option I think. The not having the details yet is a tad distressing, but we will soldier on!

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #530 on: December 20, 2017, 05:50:10 AM »
Facebook is not a forum.  On FB you don't have the ability to create a thread, let alone multiple threads as we do in SWAP, it doesn't keep information 'archived' nor available in the same way, it's hard to search, you can't have discussion topics.  It's a completely different platform that doesn't offer a fraction of the functionality of a forum board.  Let alone the privacy issues of FB compared to a forum. 
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #531 on: December 20, 2017, 07:18:26 AM »
I do agree with what Melinda says about FB. Although I'm trying to follow the knitting machine groups there (one in english and one in french) it's difficult and just very disorganized.

We can discuss knitting/machine knitting/crochet stuff on Ravelry, obviously. We can have sewalongs on another sewing forum. I would share my Dress A Month sew along on PR if necessary. I don't know what ejvc's opinion and plans are but 6PACs ARE sew alongs and can fit in there as well. SWAP, I don't know  ???

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline DaisyChain

« Reply #532 on: December 20, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
DementedFairy, I’m not on Facebook & have never used it.... I know... .hard to believe I live in the 21st Century...  but if SWAP falls through here then I’d love to continue following it somehow as it is addictive... and informative....and useful......and well...interesting. In fact now it appears we may no longer have it I WANT to join in!  I could use some of my winter 6pac plan as a starting point.... & I’ve got lots of stash fabrics & patterns sorted out... slight confession... a parcel of more lovely jersey arrived yesterday, (Chrissy present from my mum...honest  ::)).

Garden Girl yes, the sewing place is friendly & very chatty. I get the impression that there are lots of active quilters on there. I don’t visit it as much as I should. I’ve never been able to include photos in my posts on that site.... obviously me not being tech savy enough...  I think that lots of its members do pay a subscription which enables them to use all of its features, one of which is the Gallery. If you look at their posts, all those with 4 button icons are paying members. The strapline on the site says ‘Support .... from £1 a month’. 

Sizun, yes it will be interesting to hear ejvc’s thoughts about 6PAC and yes, PR does seem a possible place for this sewalong and yes, if you’re happy to do your ‘Dress a month’ sewalong over there I would definitely join in.  Perhaps the SWAP could work on PR if people also used their blog as their individual SWAP thread???  I don’t know. Just a thought.

I do worry that this fab forum might just vanish overnight, (the way the UK TheSewingForum did earlier this year), and people will struggle to find where everyone has gone.  :'(  :'(  :'(

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #533 on: December 20, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »
Facebook is not a forum.  On FB you don't have the ability to create a thread, let alone multiple threads as we do in SWAP, it doesn't keep information 'archived' nor available in the same way, it's hard to search, you can't have discussion topics.  It's a completely different platform that doesn't offer a fraction of the functionality of a forum board.  Let alone the privacy issues of FB compared to a forum.

Melinda, you said it so well, FB is not even close to what we have, and want, at SG!  I am hoping that DL is able to find a subscription solution and all of us are able to remain on this site.

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #534 on: December 20, 2017, 11:06:13 PM »
Speaking only for myself, I do not have a blog and would hate to miss out on the camaraderie of this very diverse and talented group of sewists.  I am also not very active on Facebook and I rely on platforms like SG and PR to connect with others who share my interest.  Let's not give up so easily!
Dagmar

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #535 on: December 21, 2017, 03:09:35 AM »
I hate Facebook.  I have an account (using a faux name) but haven't logged on in about two years.  I rarely used it before that and never quite understood the point of it. It feels a bit voyeuristic to me.  I had an Instagram account earlier this year but all of a sudden they wouldn't let me logon without providing my phone number and there is no way in he** I am giving them that.  I was going to get a cheapo VOIP to try to salvage the account but couldn't find one that seemed workable (for getting a text with a code to use for logging in) and after a few weeks they completely deleted my account so I'm done with them.  It's just as well ... it was a huge time waster. I imagine if I try to logon to FB to kill my account they'll pull the same phone# nonsense. I've also tried to join that UK Sewing Place half a dozen times and it sends me the email that says they have to approve me but then I never hear from them again.  Someone suggested I try to logon anyway as they didn't always send the approval notice but that hasn't worked either.  I thought it could be my VPN but I tried without it and still no luck.  I've sent emails directly to them asking if there was a reason and get no response.   ???

I am bummed about this subscription thing.  I know it's necessary.  Hosting isn't free but we'll lose people and I fear SWAP participation will dwindle. I only hope the $35/year DL has mentioned will not be too onerous for everyone but understand if it is.  In reality it's not paying for a site here and there that's a problem for most people.  It's that if you have to pay for every site you want to participate in it starts adding up and ones budget becomes problematic.

Anyway ... only six days until SWAP starts.  Hope to see everyone remain.

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #536 on: December 21, 2017, 04:29:49 AM »
I never got the gist of FB and it feels strange to me.  I joined to support families with sick children a couple of years ago, but hardly ever open my account now.

I am also concerned with losing people due to the subscription issue, but not sure how to avoid that.

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #537 on: December 21, 2017, 04:57:13 AM »
We could start a 2018 SWAP group on Ravelry if it came down to hosting SWAP elsewhere than SG, or hosting it somewhere in addition to SG. I think Ravelry is structured better than any of the other existing forums/fora(?) for that purpose. We have a knitted option for SWAP and there are Ravelry groups for all sorts of topics including sewing, so I don't think it would be a mismatch. I think it's pretty easy for any member of Ravelry to set up a group.

Something to think about, anyway.

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #538 on: December 21, 2017, 05:05:40 AM »
sigh....mudcat, I liked your choice of onerous to describe this. There are some people around here who I know are on very tight budgets, where adding in something new like this fee means giving up something else. I'm sure for some other members this is no more than lunch money. Sadly, several of the people who might find the fee challenging are contributors of much of the content we love to read. A pay to play site is only worth the content that is on it.

But, whatever. I love SWAP and the 6 PACS. SWAP is what brought me here and the 2 of them, SWAP and 6 PACs are what kept me here over the years. I'm down to reading only 3 or 4 other threads and generally it's about a 10 to 15 minute perusal one day on the weekend.

On the machine knitting thread I was telling them that next year is designated as "Year of the Knitting Machine", plus I'm starting crochet lessons 1st week of January. So I'm going over to the Yarn Side and have been visiting Ravelry a lot more in preparation.

I'm not even on Facebook, but I see it as one possible means of communication. There will be some fallout and I'm sure DL has a magic number of how many subscribers by what date she will need for it to be viable, so we still have no idea if we have a future here at SG anyway.

One thing that I have locally are lots of people who sew. My beloved quilt shop is closing next week after 40 years -retirement- and I've had 3 groups of women invite me to come and sew with them. Mostly quilters but they love to see the clothes I'm working on too. Then my machine embroidery group, now the crochet and frankly, I've got plenty of people IRL to talk & play sewing with. I need more days in the week to keep up, so I'm really blessed. So, while I would miss so many people I would not be adrift without creative friends.

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #539 on: December 21, 2017, 05:13:10 AM »
We could start a 2018 SWAP group on Ravelry if it came down to hosting SWAP elsewhere than SG, or hosting it somewhere in addition to SG. I think Ravelry is structured better than any of the other existing forums/fora(?) for that purpose. We have a knitted option for SWAP and there are Ravelry groups for all sorts of topics including sewing, so I don't think it would be a mismatch. I think it's pretty easy for any member of Ravelry to set up a group.

Something to think about, anyway.

I sort of like that idea. Plus, I was hoping to knit a sweater for my SWAP (I like to dream big.) and my optional accessory is a crocheted scarf thingie.

It might be that our needs and interests are best served by having "dual citizenship" in a couple of forums. Many of us post similar things here and on our blogs.

Maybe a group Flickr page or Pinterest for posting photos? Both can be set up for invite only if desired and Pinterest can be kept completely private and off the main feeds.

Just thinking aloud about possibilities. Better to have ideas and not use them than to wake up one day to a missing forum with no clue what to do or where to go.

And as somebody else said, this is home.

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #540 on: December 21, 2017, 05:56:27 AM »

I'm looking forward to the SWAP kicking off.  Been doing lots of planning and sewing other projects in the meantime.  I'm determined to complete the SWAP this year, and hope the pending subscriptions don't put too much of a dampener on things. 

Offline DaisyChain

« Reply #541 on: December 21, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
Dagmaro, When I posted my last comment DL hadn’t given a figure & I got the impression from her posts that she was really fed up & may be on the verge of quitting.

My take on this whole situation is coloured by what happened with The Sewing Forum. When it vanished it was literally there one day and gone the next. When you typed in its URL an automated message came up saying GONE. Even its Mods weren’t sure what was going on.  I’ve been a member of PR since 2012 so fortunately I was well placed to see former members trickle in & regroup.  Eventually, after what spiralled into some rather acrimonious discussions on PR, The Foldline, (another UK based sewing site), and a private group elsewhere on the internet, the sewing place forum was created. Imi & Fran, (& Imi’s husband), have done a sterling job & the new forum looks great but not everyone from the old forum has found the new one & some former members haven’t joined, (probably because of what was said during the ‘discussions’).  I have absolutely no doubt that if the TSF members had been pre warned of its demise then a new forum would have emerged smoothly without all the unpleasant drama.( Real life is too short and, for many of us, stressful enough. Who needs online upsets?)

I know SG is a different beast & the whole TSF experience was probably a one off but I think knowing that if SWAP, 6PAC & Sizun’s 12 dresses fizzles out here then being aware of other possible venues will make any transition that much easier.

GardenGirl, I agree, having an online presence on several sites is a good idea.  I’ve just joined Ravelry... (DaisyChain was already taken so I’ve gone for DaisyChainstitch).
What an amazing site. Where are my knitting needles???

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #542 on: December 21, 2017, 09:35:20 AM »
I too dislike Facebook, but I joined probably 10 years ago to see what it was about. I since 'deactivated it' and have nothing on it and no notifications etc. The only time I log back in is if I want to see the Facebook page of say StyleArc which are 'open pages'. They (Facebook) cleverly detect that you have an account and block half the page.  >:(

I agree with DaisyChain's impression as well. 
Sewing in Cheshire

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #543 on: December 21, 2017, 12:54:53 PM »
treefrog...your blouse is unbelievable!  One could never find, much less afford, something like it in ready wear.  The pattern matching is glorious.... I am envious.  Beautiful.

ETA: I can really see the inspiration photo in this... I am just in awe.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:00:25 PM by CCL »

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #544 on: December 21, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
Let's not give up so easily!

I hope there will be enough members staying - I for one am planning on it. Its less fabric purchase - but then I have stash I want to sew from anyway.

Treefrog - I enjoy your croquis-drawings and combinations immensly. The finished shirt is great - all the work you put into patternmatching (on the front AND side seam) is sooo worth it! Great garment.
Eva

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #545 on: December 21, 2017, 02:19:06 PM »
Treefrog, I too admire your careful work on this shirt. Really nice. And of course I love your drawings !

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #546 on: December 21, 2017, 02:54:24 PM »
I am bummed about this subscription thing.  ...we'll lose people and I fear SWAP participation will dwindle.
In reality it's not paying for a site here and there that's a problem for most people.  It's that if you have to pay for every site you want to participate in it starts adding up and ones budget becomes problematic....
DL does a good job of keep trolls at bay but I’m hoping having to pay will practically eliminate those posters and the ones that join to make nonsense and bad language posts.  As for SWAP, when people have to pay there is a greater commitment.  I think we will see more completed SWAPs, more earnest conversations fewer pie in the sky just kidding SWAP talk.

When the subscriptions start to strain me, I take a hard look at which ones I’m really using and enjoying.  Most of my magazine subs were cancelled and they were only $1-3 payable monthly.  I have Netflix and Prime but never ever started HULU and the also rans.  Netflix is about to go—I spend more time looking at the menu than watching.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:11:00 AM by sdBev »
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Bookish

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #547 on: December 21, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »

DL has just said that she plans on keeping SWAP free and viewable by all...

I will subscribe and think that Bev has some good points (looking at magazine subscriptions here).

I am in awe and having waaaay too much fun reading and admiring all the plans and delights.  Mudcat, an especial wave and thank you for such a good set of rules.

Connie

Offline karent

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #548 on: December 21, 2017, 04:21:21 PM »
I am bummed about this subscription thing.  I know it's necessary.  Hosting isn't free but we'll lose people and I fear SWAP participation will dwindle. I only hope the $35/year DL has mentioned will not be too onerous for everyone but understand if it is.  In reality it's not paying for a site here and there that's a problem for most people.  It's that if you have to pay for every site you want to participate in it starts adding up and ones budget becomes problematic.

When SWAP first started at SG, it was run by Julie Timmel of Timmel Fabrics.  She required a particular list of purchases from her online store to participate, and there was never any issue that I saw with people joining in.  FWIW.  K

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #549 on: December 21, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »
When SWAP first started at SG, it was run by Julie Timmel of Timmel Fabrics.  She required a particular list of purchases from her online store to participate, and there was never any issue that I saw with people joining in.  FWIW.  K

There was not an issue with people participating, and purchasing fabric from her store as a financial "entry fee", but at that time SWAP sponsored by Timmel Fabrics also had monetary store credit prizes for winning first second and third places, I don't recall the amounts, but they were significant amounts (compared to the usual cost of fabric per yard at the time). 

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:53:42 PM by indigotiger »
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #550 on: December 21, 2017, 05:02:56 PM »
I saved the rules from SWAP 2008 which Timmel fabrics sponsored and share some quotes from it below:-

Fabric/pattern purchase minimum value of $25 Canadian to be made from Timmel Fabrics between Oct. 1, 2007 and March 1, 2008. This fabric or pattern must be featured as one item in the SWAP.

PRIZES: 1st place - $500 gift certificate to Timmel Fabrics for fabrics/patterns.
2nd place - $250 gift certificate to Timmel Fabrics
3rd place - $100 gift certificate to Timmel Fabrics
4th and 5th place - $50 gift certificate

Everyone who finishes a SWAP and submits their pictures will receive a free pattern of their choice from any pattern that I carry.

It did feel a bit daft buying stuff from Canada to come to the UK so I mostly went with Indie patterns to reduce postage but did once get fabric. I think I did this twice, and didn't win, but did get my lovely free pattern.

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #551 on: December 22, 2017, 12:29:01 AM »
I did the Timmel one time. I couldn't remember what fabric I would have purchased from her.  I remember her selection being more suitable for suits or colder weather so I just checked on the old site and evidently I purchased black cotton/lycra and a Jalie twist top from her.  I'm sure I never finished as I never do.  Perhaps this year I will since I'm not formally participating.  ;D

By the way I was happy about SWAP being free to all but after rereading what she wrote I noticed that DL used the word viewable so I just asked for clarification on that.

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #552 on: December 22, 2017, 01:18:17 AM »
DementedFairy, I’m not on Facebook & have never used it.... I know... .hard to believe I live in the 21st Century...
Just so you know, I'm not on it, I don't have a smart phone either. I do wonder what people are looking/texting though, not enough to spy.
Let's talk about math

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #553 on: December 22, 2017, 01:34:16 AM »
I hate Facebook.  I have an account (using a faux name) but haven't logged on in about two years.  I rarely used it before that and never quite understood the point of it. It feels a bit voyeuristic to me.  I had an Instagram account earlier this year but all of a sudden they wouldn't let me logon without providing my phone number and there is no way in he** I am giving them that. 

I can let you use MY phone number...it's 000-000-0000, Sites need you to fill it in,they have never given me problems with it...and they have never called me. ;D
Let's talk about math

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #554 on: December 22, 2017, 01:55:43 AM »
Hi all!

I've been reading, but not posting as I haven't been sewing either. I've been nursing a cold for 2 weeks, work has gone crazy, and of course it is holiday time.

Still haven't gotten my December pre-sewn garment done, but I can probably do before the end of December.

I love SWAP, and plan to continue on. :)
Wendy

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #555 on: December 22, 2017, 02:13:27 AM »
DaisyChain, thank you for explaining what happened to other threads /forums you were on.  I have not had this experience other than last year's SG issues. Now, I can better understand why several members are actively talking about what to do should the worst come to pass.  I was amazed at what turned up when I googled The Sewing Place Forum: several options and groups that I had never heard of and if I had the time, I would probably be interested in one or two of them as my quick look showed many familiar names active on them.  Nevertheless,  as an optimist, I do feel confident that SG will pull through and I am looking forward to watching the SWAPS unfold as I try to sew through mine.   :)
Dagmar

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #556 on: December 22, 2017, 02:18:35 AM »
Treefrog, I just hopped over and saw your lovely blouse.  Congratulations on moving ahead so efficiently!  The blouse looks lovely and as others have said, your sketches really show how it will work well in a wardrobe.
Dagmar

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #557 on: December 22, 2017, 03:32:03 AM »
DaisyChain, thank you for explaining what happened to other threads /forums you were on.  I have not had this experience other than last year's SG issues. Now, I can better understand why several members are actively talking about what to do should the worst come to pass.  I was amazed at what turned up when I googled The Sewing Place Forum: several options and groups that I had never heard of and if I had the time, I would probably be interested in one or two of them as my quick look showed many familiar names active on them.  Nevertheless,  as an optimist, I do feel confident that SG will pull through and I am looking forward to watching the SWAPS unfold as I try to sew through mine.   :)

Dagmar, Stitcher's Guild was actually set up as a possible alternate to a previous forum that was having significant problems and was basically in it's death throes. I think it was called Sewing World. I had just joined a few weeks earlier, for SWAP no less, and remember reading fzxdoc's post giving us a link to the new site, just in case we needed a new home if that one disappeared. It turned out to be a good thing. When one forum is your main home base online it can feel a bit like groping around in the dark if or when it suddenly goes offline. Think of the discussions as our own little family disaster plan. I live in earthquake country, middle of California, and everybody has plans of how to get in touch with friends and loved ones just in case "the big one" hits. Loma Prieta in "89 was quite an eye opener.

Just a note for clarity all. Timmel fabrics was owned by Julie Culshaw. She was delightful to talk to on the phone. She has a blog though she hasn't been posting since she moved this summer. And yes, the purchases were used to fund those really generous prizes. And everybody who finished was a winner! Julie carried an extensive array of independent pattern companies.

Offline boppingbeth

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #558 on: December 22, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »
She was one of the few people I shopped from. 

I am going to participate in SWAP, I just haven't managed to get myself organized to figure out my base colors, if I'm going to stay with my grey/black base adding pink/white/teal or navy/denim with grey/pink/rose.   

Offline DaisyChain

« Reply #559 on: December 22, 2017, 06:47:42 PM »
I just wanted to wish everyone good luck with their lovely SWAP sewing. (Treefrog, your blouse is fab, very impressive). I’ve been really inspired by Mudcat’s brilliant ‘create a collection that looks like it belongs together and that you can easily add new pieces to in the future’ concept. I’m going to use this idea in my future sewing. In fact I think this is going to be my new sewing mantra! :) I doubt I’m going to join in with your actual SWAP but I will be cheering you all on from the sidelines, (as it seems it may remain viewable by all.)

I haven’t decided whether or not I’m going to subscribe. I need to read through DLs plans for the future of SG before I decide. For me it isn’t so much the cost, although $35 is a lot higher than I expected, it’s the details of precisely what we would be buying. Chances are I’ll see you all here next year, (or if not, over on PR!.....same avatar, different user name  ;))

Happy Sewing, Happy holidays, Merry Christmas & a Peaceful New Year.
 :-*  :-*  :-*