Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69628 times)

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #490 on: December 06, 2017, 02:40:12 AM »
Treefrog- your lace is beautiful! I am so impressed with your weaving!

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #491 on: December 06, 2017, 03:01:20 AM »
Thank-you.  It was quite a fun sampler to do and play with the different treadling combinations.  I'm hoping to warp the loom up over the weekend to start on my top.

I've been AWOL lately so I'm looking forward to catching up on everyone's progress and plans.  Not long now until we can start!

Melinda_B  The AC tartan looks amazing. 

Offline angelsweb

• Subscribed Member
Re: Grasshopper's good news
« Reply #492 on: December 06, 2017, 04:20:11 AM »
Hurray! I know you must be so relieved to get that good news. I'm happy for you!

Angelia

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #493 on: December 06, 2017, 04:13:24 PM »
Good to hear the news, Grasshopper!

ETA:  Treefrog, your lace sample is lovely -  I just focused my eyes to finally see the bird in your galah post.  Duh!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:52:46 PM by CCL »

Offline Medea

• You'll find my Wardrobe Diary at
« Reply #494 on: December 07, 2017, 06:28:59 PM »
I'm so happy for you Grasshopper! <3
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
Re: CCL's Whatever Was I Thinking? SWAP (Comments in the main thread, please)
« Reply #495 on: December 09, 2017, 04:30:34 AM »
CCL, i find  the neckline on the dress smart looking, but it might feel different on you. I think the whole dress is beautiful on you.

Karendee

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #496 on: December 09, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm slowly reading through people's plans- and they are impressive!  Blimey, I need to pull my socks up a bit!  Looking forward to seeing all of these develop.
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #497 on: December 09, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
Demented Fairy, So much fun to see you and your "SWAMP" planning.   The mathematical print is very nifty.

I hit another wall this morning.  I don't have quite enough print fabric for the two garments I had planned. 

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #498 on: December 09, 2017, 08:28:55 PM »
I've got carried away dragging patterns out...need to make some choices and put some back!  I need to assess how much I will be making in knit, and how much in woven so I can fiddle things about.  I really want to force myself to create from stash only.  This may be harder than I thought, as I tend to buy stuff and make it up pretty quickly...
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #499 on: December 09, 2017, 09:03:51 PM »
In the past the desire to sew from stash was a problem for me too dementedfariy.  But it was more because of too many prints and not enough solids.  By the way, I love the red skirt with the black bodice.  Very cheerful.

Hope everyone is progressing with their plans and pre-work.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Re: Re: CCL's Whatever Was I Thinking? SWAP (Comments in the main thread, please)
« Reply #500 on: December 10, 2017, 04:37:26 PM »
Karendee - Thank you, your avatar photo is BEAUTIFUL... so glad to see your smiling face!

Offline Carmen

« Reply #501 on: December 13, 2017, 12:56:35 AM »
Well...I think that I am going to attempt this SWAP.  I am not sure whether I will be successful, but at any rate I should end up with a few new garments.

Part of my problem has been trying to determine my style.  When I was in my twenties, I was fairly on trend with the styles.  Then, I got married; moved to a rural location where very few people give any thought towards fashion; had a baby (he's now 25 years old LOL); went through menopause.  Now I usually can be found in jeans and a t-shirt and I feel very dowdy!

I don't want to try to look younger than I am but I don't want to look like I just don't care.  I am only 5' tall and starting to get a wide waist.  Shopping is 2 hours away and it's very hard to find anything that fits or flatters.  I have to sew if I want to have a more fashionable wardrobe and if I want it to fit. 

I read a saying recently:  "Elegance is the privilege of age".  I guess that is what I am aiming for, whatever that means. 

My neutrals will be black and charcoal.  I think that I have most of them sorted out by going through fabric already was in my stash.  Royal or Cobalt blue will be my accent.  That's a good start and I'll go from there.  I need to order some fabric, but I feel more settled by writing these ideas down. 

I hope that I can figure out how to post pictures,etc and when I have my head around it I will start a thread to keep my thoughts in one spot and hopefully get some feedback as to whether I am heading in the right direction.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #502 on: December 13, 2017, 07:39:12 AM »
Welcome Carmen. Hope you can do so preparation to find what colours and styles suit you and have some successful sewing ahead.

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #503 on: December 13, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »
Heavens Carmen, you sound like you are in my neck of the woods.  Im in Rural South Dakota. Local shopping is very limited but then most of my neighbors are perfectly happy to call a new pair of jeans “dressing up”. 2 hours to any real shopping and even that is dieing out.  The mall was hardly occupied and everything was marked 30% or more reduced when I visited last week for Christmas shopping. 

There are several topics on SG for finding style and style for the the mature.  I elected for a step up i.e. instead of living in jeans, Ts and sneakers, I wear slacks, blouses or fitted knit tops and flats most of the time. Coordinates but not the power suits of my working years.  Jeans still have their place in my life and I have several newer pairs but they dont dominate my closet.  Its a journey, but you can make it to a snazzier you.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Carmen

« Reply #504 on: December 14, 2017, 12:38:17 AM »
Thank you Ruthie and Bev:

I have been spending quite a bit of time looking through websites trying to get ideas on makeup, hair and nice clothing styles that will suit me.  I have a clear and cool complexion, ashy brown hair and blue eyes.  I should be nearly completely grey but my hairdresser keeps me in line.  I have been giving some thought to ladies that I admire that dress in an elegant, but comfortable way and thinking about how that would work for me. 

I live in northern Ontario on an island called Manitoulin.  (it's connected to land by a bridge and in the summer, a ferry)  It is lovely, especially in the summer.  But we are not the fashion mecca of Canada.  LOL

I think that I will most likely follow your example, Bev.  Try to just amp up my game a bit.  Focus on some nice tops and cardigans and some classier trousers.  That should get me started. 

I have chosen black and grey for my neutrals, but neither of those are colours which work well with my complexion.  I'm going to try to have colours (mostly jewel tones - maybe slightly muted) for my tops.  I may not end up technically being in line with the swap guidelines, but it will still be a good thing if I get sewing.

I don't know anyone else that sews garments (I am a quilter) so thought by joining the swap I would feel like I was in a community of sewists. 

Thanks a lot for your encouragement. 

Carmen

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #505 on: December 14, 2017, 01:51:28 AM »
Carmen
The best color advice I remember  is “keep your most flattering colors next to your face”. You can use the black and grey neutral or other less flattering colors as much as you want and anywhere you want. As long as you keep your good colors next to your face, those other colors will work in your wardrobe.  Well, works for me although others disagree...
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #506 on: December 14, 2017, 04:02:13 AM »
Hi Carmen,
You live in a beautiful part of Ontario.  I can't imagine what it is like in the winter as I have only visited in the summer when the many tourists are a walking advertisement for the area's scenery.  I think Bev is right on track with her advice regarding placing your most flattering colours near your face if you want to keep to a fairly neutral palette of darker colours.  You could pick a couple of prints and a third more colourful neutral that coordinates with the other colours to pull it all together.  Just as an idea to ease into more colours, I am a huge fan of scarves tied at my neck for a pop of colour/print when wearing solids.  I really find it not only adds colour and print but also visual interest to my overall outfit and draws the eye to my face and away from other areas I may not want to accentuate.  Sometimes most of it is tucked in my neckline and sometimes it is tied to drape around my shoulders or arranged to hang like a cowl.  I also try to wear necklaces to add interest near my face.  Good luck planning your SWAP!
Dagmar

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
« Reply #507 on: December 14, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »
Grasshopper, congratulations on the wonderful news of the results of your medical exams. Now you can enjoy creating your SWAP without a cloud hanging over your head. I look forward to seeing your creations.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
Re: Re: CCL's Whatever Was I Thinking? SWAP (Comments in the main thread, please)
« Reply #508 on: December 15, 2017, 04:53:43 AM »
CCL, what a lovely comment. I appreciate all your kind words and love your sewing.

Karendee

Thanks to whomever moved this post. I realized last night that I posted in on a Swap no post area. But I was just typing along chatting with CCL not thinking. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:13:59 AM by KarenDee »

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #509 on: December 16, 2017, 05:23:38 PM »
I sewed up a trumpet skirt, pattern self drafted, as the former one didn't fit...  ::)  it turned out nice. I used dark blue wool crepeso I could use it for SWAP. I was planning on sewing pants for SWAP, but it is always good to have something up your sleeve...
Otherwise there are christmaspreparations going on here, and work.
Eva

Offline DaisyChain

« Reply #510 on: December 17, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
I’m really enjoying reading through everyone’s SWAP threads.  :)   I especially like to read about how you adapt your plans as the process progresses.

Elephun, you mentioned you’re going to try the new Tessuti Athina top. I’d just posted a link to that pattern in another section of the forum before I read your latest SWAP post. It will be great to see a photo of your version of this top as, considering it’s a free pattern, it looks as if it could have a lot of potential.

Happy Sewing.

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #511 on: December 17, 2017, 04:20:36 PM »
Daisychain, I’ll post photos of the Athina muslin once I’ve made it.
I haven’t made any of Tessuti’s tops yet, but I like this style enough to give it a try.
I don’t think it’s worth messing about trying an FBA, or many usual fitting tricks on this pattern, so prep will be quick.
I’ll just cut an XL and see how it looks once I’ve basted the shoulders, sides and sleeves in a couple of days.
I have to tape the pattern first!

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #512 on: December 17, 2017, 10:05:29 PM »
Hi Carmen,  When I was a kid we used to pass through Manitoulin Island en route to the north shore of Lake Superior. I remember a lovely place...and hawberry jam!

Sounds as though the advice you have received from Dagmar and Bev is spot on. Your colouring sounds somewhat similar to mine. Some pretty jewel tones will certainly bring some colour to complement your classic neutrals.

I spend a lot of time in Europe and used to feel the need to dress up. Now I feel that there is a lovely space in the middle between North American casual and hyper-elegant. It's quite fun to dress up a still comfortable and casual look.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #513 on: December 18, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
Carmen, welcome, no matter the final outcome, participating in SWAP is its own reward, just having a community to talk over plans with is so much fun.

BessieCrocker -- thank you for explaining your evolving plan.  I keep getting stalled by trying to twist fabric into plans and ideas where it just doesn't want to go.   I am going to try to listen better to what the fabric is trying to tell me.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #514 on: December 18, 2017, 10:59:23 PM »
Hi all, I suggest you read this topic
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=1243.0
or if the link does not work, go and look in the 'Site news and Announcements' area and read the post about DL's plans for SG.
as this is likely to impact your future participation in SWAP.

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #515 on: December 19, 2017, 02:53:53 AM »
or if the link does not work, go and look in the 'Site news and Announcements' area and read the post about DL's plans for SG.

Thanks for posting the link Ruthie. I had the same thought. And it was a fluke that I had any time online today. I had a few minuted this AM and now during the evening, otherwise didn't expect to be back until C'mas day. I admit the news did put a bit of a Humbug! into my festivities.....

Much to contemplate with (currently) little information. The tidbits given so far are not enough to make a decision on and raise a whole bunch of questions. If I decide not to subscribe does all the content I've created here stay available for the people who do pay and for DL to "profit" from?

I was secretly planning to surprise all of you with an actual SWAP this time. Patterns are selected, test garments are about to get going, fabrics are stacking up and I have an excellent timeline worked out. Also a major NEED for the clothing.  ;) I imagine at this point some of us need to be also thinking about where we will chat about SWAP and other things if we opt not to subscribe.

Maybe I'll just wish all of you a Merry little Christmas now.

Merry Christmas!

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #516 on: December 19, 2017, 03:39:08 AM »
Garden Girl- Ruthie has made a blog post that you might like to check out. I have not commented on it yet, but I plan to.

Offline cathyd

• O/T Politics
« Reply #517 on: December 19, 2017, 03:42:54 AM »

This ends swap for me before it even began.  I will still sew my swap but will not pay to be part of this message board.  To me, this site has a history of too many server problems and doesn't really offer any features beyond a message board and photo gallery, which I can access elsewhere for no cost and a more stable website. 

Good luck to those who choose to support the site financially.  It's just not worth it to me. 

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #518 on: December 19, 2017, 05:16:37 AM »
Elephun, yes, thank you, I had seen Ruthie's blog post. I don't comment on blogs but plan on sending Ruthie a PM in a few days with a suggestion she is most likely aware of.

Cathy, I can certainly understand your thoughts on the matter. All your points are quite valid.

Shall I just mention now that elsewhere on the internet you'll find me as Renegade Sewist.  ;D It's a little play on 1) my name, Rene and 2) my rather cavalier attitude toward sewing "rules" and conventions.

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #519 on: December 19, 2017, 06:16:12 AM »
Daisychain, I’ll post photos of the Athina muslin once I’ve made it.

Daisychain, I posted photos and comments on the Athina pattern on this thread

Offline DaisyChain

« Reply #520 on: December 19, 2017, 09:19:50 AM »
Elephun Thanks for posting your photos. It’s really useful to see the pattern made up ‘as it comes’. 

It looks as if in addition to a considerable amount of extra length the version from the Tessuti website has also been altered at the neckline.

Thanks for the link Ruthie. The subscription issue is a tricky one. It’s difficult to give an opinion without first knowing all of the details.

One of the reasons I like this forum is because I enjoy reading the SWAP and 6PAC threads. I've become slightly addicted to the individual SWAP threads. It’s like reading lots of detailed sewing blogs and pattern reviews all rolled into one.  If it’s still around for the next SWAP I think I’ll just have to join in. And that of course is the worry. Will enough people pay to post content on a forum to make the content of that forum worth paying for? 

........I think we’ll all be watching this space over Christmas....

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #521 on: December 19, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
One of the reasons I like this forum is because I enjoy reading the SWAP and 6PAC threads. I've become slightly addicted to the individual SWAP threads. It’s like reading lots of detailed sewing blogs and pattern reviews all rolled into one.  If it’s still around for the next SWAP I think I’ll just have to join in. And that of course is the worry. Will enough people pay to post content on a forum to make the content of that forum worth paying for? 

Exactly what I'm thinking. SWAP, 6PAC, but is it worth paying for a deserted board ?

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #522 on: December 19, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »
Daisychain- I am pretty tall - 5'10" - so that probably explains the comparative discrepancy in length of the garment between the model's photo and mine.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #523 on: December 19, 2017, 08:57:13 PM »
/snip/
One of the reasons I like this forum is because I enjoy reading the SWAP and 6PAC threads. I've become slightly addicted to the individual SWAP threads. It’s like reading lots of detailed sewing blogs and pattern reviews all rolled into one.  /snip/

DaisyChain, your comment got me thinking - I used to put lengthy construction notes on my Flickr photos, but got out of the habit.  Your comment about the SWAP and 6-Pac threads inspired me to go back and add a few more construction type notes to my last SWAP entry.  I so agree with you about the power of those construction notes and "thinking out loud" comments.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:13:54 PM by CCL »

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #524 on: December 19, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »

Exactly what I'm thinking. SWAP, 6PAC, but is it worth paying for a deserted board ?

My thoughts, too. Even in the few short years I've been here (about 4, off and on), active membership has notably dwindled -- even before last year's major server problems and migration to this new version. So will there be enough active members (and thus enough content & discussion) to merit paying the subscription? I don't know. I'm pretty sure that unless the fee is quite low, at least some of the members I follow will leave. And if the fee is low, how can enough money be generated? I guess I will wait and see but as of now I am feeling pessimistic about it.

I had a firm goal to follow through on SWAP this year so I am pretty bummed right now. I know I can sew the collection on my own (and have done so in the past) but it's the camaraderie and the fun of following everyone's individual threads that I value most.

Thanks for posting the link and the announcement on your blog, Ruthie. :) I've just finished a 2 1/2 week visit with my sister and was looking forward to catching up here. Glad I didn't miss the news!