Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69632 times)

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #455 on: November 27, 2017, 07:20:40 AM »
Medea, your dress is lovely and the style and color make it very versatile.

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #456 on: November 27, 2017, 05:03:56 PM »
Grashopper/Lyneisa, I will think about you on friday. Sending good energies towards you.
Eva

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #457 on: November 27, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »
Grashopper/Lyneisa, I will think about you on friday. Sending good energies towards you.

Morzel/Eva, thank you so much for that!  I've been through the full gamut of emotions this past week and though I am usually a very private person, the friendly, welcoming environment of this group encouraged me to open up.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #458 on: November 28, 2017, 02:34:35 AM »
Thinking of you Grasshopper, sending positive thoughts!
Wendy

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #459 on: November 28, 2017, 05:14:24 AM »
Me too!

Karendee

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #460 on: November 28, 2017, 10:15:20 AM »
Grasshopper, You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
« Reply #461 on: November 28, 2017, 12:35:46 PM »
Elephun, it's good to hear that you're feeling well enough to sew once again. I wish you well.

Grasshopper, I hope the news on Friday is good news. I'm sending a million positive vibes your way.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #462 on: November 28, 2017, 12:59:12 PM »
Medea, your dress is lovely, the fit is magnificent!  Is it the "made between rules being posted and the start of sewing" garment or a trial run for the one in your SWAP? 

Elephun, wonderful to see that you are feeling better!  Grasshopper, I am adding my wishes and positive thoughts for good results on Friday to everyone else's above.

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #463 on: November 28, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »
Thank you, Wendy, Karendee, Kay, Kathryn, and CCL! I really do appreciate all your kindness and well wishes!
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #464 on: November 28, 2017, 07:07:57 PM »
Grasshopper, so sorry to hear of your health scare! Wishing you the best on Friday. :) Great job on detoxing from caffeine (so hard to do!). Wearing and sewing your new zesty palette will give a boost to your spirits, so go for it. :)

Elephun, I checked out Liesl's Cappuccino dress -- it looks like one of those patterns you could do a lot with. I hope it works for you (OR your Bootstrap pattern if you decide to make another muslin).

Melinda, great news on finding a local source of organic cotton! I'm quite curious to see how you will work the navy yardage into your SWAP.

Susan, I am enjoying watching your hypothetical SWAP, and your two collections, come together.

I did some SWAP-related prep today, very proud of myself. ;D ;) I washed & dried the additional yardage of my black/blue/white plaid fabric (it had an absolutely horrible finish on it when it arrived but now it's nice & soft) AND a piece of medium-weight black linen that I've decided will join my plan as a dress. I think I've already washed the linen once or twice but it definitely softened up this time. I won't want to wear the linen if it doesn't feel soft!

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #465 on: November 28, 2017, 09:54:48 PM »
Grasshopper- I'll be thinking of you on Friday, as well.

Kathryn and CCL - Thanks!

M lambie- I do like that Cappuccino dress. Based on the pattern instructions, I should start with a size 8 and then do an enormous FBA to add 6 1/2 cup sizes. I was thinking about starting with a larger size and doing a smaller FBA, but that backfired on the other Liesl pattern I tried for SWAP (Chai tee). I think once I wrap my head around how best to do the FBA on the Cappuccino, I'll get around to printing the pattern out. 
I was thinking on the Bootstrap pattern that I might try to forgo a proper FBA and see how it goes: if I add width to the center front, so there is essentially more fabric gathered under the yoke, it will give me more bust room. Hopefully, I can add enough for the bust without making the hips too big. If it's as easy as that, I may leave the yokes as they are. I think I'll go cut up the front of my muslin to see how much room I might need to add at CF.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #466 on: November 29, 2017, 12:51:36 AM »
Elephun, good luck with your Cappuccino dress! I noticed, looking at photos online, that many folks seem to have needed an FBA in their versions (but didn't do one). Will you be able to use those seams in the front, do you think, or add a dart? I am very curious to know how you will do it. :) Your solution for the Bootstrap pattern sounds promising, hope it works.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #467 on: November 29, 2017, 01:37:47 AM »
Just checking in very briefly (my fabric has been displaced by an Italian chef/handyman and I am also held hostage to said Italian :)). Wishing you the very best Grasshopper/Lyneisa. I will be back next week to catch up on everyone's plans.

One positive aspect of having my visitor here is that his taste is much more classic than mine and so now he is forcing me to think through my plans more carefully (he's not crazy about my dresses with many style lines and my creative "tree" fabric). Not that I will change my plans to suit his tastes (!), but I do find that sometimes I get excited about things in theory that in practice I might not wear. There is probably a middle ground! Stepping back from your work is always useful I think.

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #468 on: November 29, 2017, 03:34:04 AM »
Jumping in very quickly as I am in the middle of getting my outdoor Christmas decorations organized for installation tomorrow when I have someone coming to help me (yay!!!).  My kids are coming home from their respective schools for a quick weekend prior to the start of crunch time just before final exams and are expecting to see the house "lit up" and Santa ready even if they already young adults! Some things never change (and that includes me and how I love to indulge them on this topic... ;D ).

Grasshopper, all the colours you mentioned in your planning thread have sounded absolutely lovely and I have no doubt that your new choices will also be lovely.  When you have serious challenges in front of you, it is especially important to focus on things that give you joy.  If the new colours are it for you, then change over to them so that your efforts not only give you joy when they are completed, but also when in process.  Good luck on Friday!

To everyone else, real progress is being made and I am a little bit jealous ( Medea, that dress looks fantastic on you).  Stephanie, I just saw your post and wanted to encourage you to stick to your plan if you really loved it as you will be wearing much of the clothing while here without your better half so it may as well please you!

As I predicted, the list of Christmas related activity is taking me over but I am still going to try to stick to my schedule of having one garment for SWAP made this month.  Unfortunately, it will probably be one of the easier ones. In reality, I could use one of the more complex ones more immediately and completing one would really give me a boost of confidence however, I can't change the nature of December so I may as well just accept it.  Now that I finally have all my fabrics, I have been draping them on my dress form to work out the final plan of garments.  Luckily I was pretty accurate with my impressions of weight and drape for those that I bought online.  I don't think any fabric changes will be required to the plan however, I am still fiddling with the final pattern selection which is very time consuming as it really requires lots of study and analysis. 

More news later.  ;)
Dagmar

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #469 on: November 29, 2017, 08:18:46 AM »
I'm still making Christmas stockings and fleece hats and nothing for SWAP.
However I came across this from Imogen Lamport and Jill Chivers and it reminded me of the importance of where a neckline hits.
https://insideoutstyleblog.com/2017/11/balance-points-and-clothing.html
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:21:35 AM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #470 on: November 29, 2017, 10:58:53 AM »
I'm still making Christmas stockings and fleece hats and nothing for SWAP.
However I came across this from Imogen Lamport and Jill Chivers and it reminded me of the importance of where a neckline hits.
https://insideoutstyleblog.com/2017/11/balance-points-and-clothing.html

That’s a really interesting video Ruthie and explains why I love some necklines and not others - it was really interesting how less flattering it looked when Jill pulled her neckline up a little.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
« Reply #471 on: November 29, 2017, 01:22:52 PM »
Interesting video. Thanks, Ruthie.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline Medea

• You'll find my Wardrobe Diary at
« Reply #472 on: November 29, 2017, 04:12:04 PM »
Thanks to everyone!

Medea, your dress is lovely, the fit is magnificent!  Is it the "made between rules being posted and the start of sewing" garment or a trial run for the one in your SWAP? 

Yes CCL, this is my trial for the black dress which will be "made between rules being posted and the start of sewing". And that dress is also finished.
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #473 on: November 29, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »
I want to chime in that I love the fit of your dress, Medea! Perfect!

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #474 on: November 30, 2017, 04:38:48 AM »
Thanks for the video and website, Ruthie. You have mentioned IL frequently, but this is my first time reading her blog. Interesting.

Karendee

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #475 on: November 30, 2017, 05:02:52 PM »
Thanks again to everyone that has commented here or messaged me privately to express wishes and good thoughts for tomorrow!

Patricia/Pagog, don't feel guilty for your lovely scarf purchase!  I'm sure you still found something wonderful for your daughter and it's nice to treat ourselves to something special every once in a while!  It looks like it will work really well with your chosen fabrics.   ;D

Ruthie, I'm in 7 Steps to Style, too, and although I've always had preferred neckline shapes, I am trying to be more disciplined about sticking with those that are the most flattering.
Lyneisa

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #476 on: November 30, 2017, 07:25:15 PM »
I don't know if this is new or not...but Nancy Nix Rice (style consultant who is big  on capsule wardrobes) has blog posts that suggest the best patterns for capsule basics. This is worth looking at if you are putting a swap together and need pattern inspiration.

This goes to the  "tops" blog post,with links to bottoms and layers.

https://www.nancynixrice.com/pattern-picks-12-piece-wardrobe-layer-tops/

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #477 on: December 02, 2017, 02:09:57 AM »
Stepping in to say happy weekend to all!  I have my sewing group meet up tomorrow, that should get my creative juices flowing!
I hope to have some sewing progress to report soon.
Wendy

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #478 on: December 02, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
If I were to take one of my neutrals - navy - and do an allover embroidery pattern a la Alabama Chanin, would that turn it into a patterned fabric or still be considered a neutral?  I'm looking at doing the Tartan pattern, similar to this http://journal.alabamachanin.com/2017/11/tartan-tartan/ and will probably use browns/gold/blue/black tones for the embroidery.  Or would that be close enough to the other colours in my collection that I could use it as one of the wildcards?

This is the AC tartan, done on black french terry.  I would be doing it on a navy base, as navy is one of my core neutrals in my SWAP
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #479 on: December 02, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »
If I were to take one of my neutrals - navy - and do an allover embroidery pattern a la Alabama Chanin, would that turn it into a patterned fabric or still be considered a neutral?  I'm looking at doing the Tartan pattern, similar to this http://journal.alabamachanin.com/2017/11/tartan-tartan/ and will probably use browns/gold/blue/black tones for the embroidery.  Or would that be close enough to the other colours in my collection that I could use it as one of the wildcards?

This is the AC tartan, done on black french terry.  I would be doing it on a navy base, as navy is one of my core neutrals in my SWAP

Oops, in accordance with this year's guidelines I need to figure this out and not ask questions....  asking was just automatic....  Sorry!   ;) 

I've got this.  Not sure how it will fit, but it will..... 
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #480 on: December 02, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »
Ooh, that's lovely, Melinda_B.

I forgot to respond to the lovely Dagmar here. Thanks! I like my partner's opinions (and that he's willing to give them freely), but I never make anything unless it's something I want to make. I'm fairly bull-headed that way.

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #481 on: December 02, 2017, 06:47:06 PM »
Oops, in accordance with this year's guidelines I need to figure this out and not ask questions....  asking was just automatic....  Sorry!   ;) 

Actually, it is fine to ask questions.  That was a suggestion by someone else ... not me.  Though to be honest I've been surprised and pleased that there are not many questions.  I'd like to think it's because I did a thorough job. ;D

And besides you are the designer!

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #482 on: December 02, 2017, 11:47:27 PM »
Actually, it is fine to ask questions.  That was a suggestion by someone else ... not me.  Though to be honest I've been surprised and pleased that there are not many questions.  I'd like to think it's because I did a thorough job. ;D

And besides you are the designer! 

That's where I was going with it, I'm the designer so I get to choose where it fits in.   ;D
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #483 on: December 05, 2017, 05:09:46 PM »
I know this is not SWAP-related, but since so many of you have expressed concern, I wanted to let you know that my mammogram and ultrasound both came back clear.  Again, thank you to all of you who sent your well wishes to me during this time.  I am humbled by your kindness.
Lyneisa

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #484 on: December 05, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »
This is fantastic news! I was just thinking about you. Hugs.

Offline caro488

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #485 on: December 05, 2017, 06:45:23 PM »
Yay! grasshopper!

Offline caro488

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #486 on: December 05, 2017, 06:51:01 PM »
Well, I made a t-shirt to erase the awful memory of the pants-that-do-not-fit. The t, another t-n-t pattern, fits perfectly, so I don't know what I did...
But I am getting ready to make a lovely pair of charcoal grey wool pants. (I will measure before cutting.)
I also bound four kiddie quilts and quilted parts of two others for my quilting group. We make them for the local Children's Advocacy Center.
Have spent some time quilting my Bonnie Hunter "En Provence",
finished the top of my Hunter's Star,
and have started cutting for another quilt.
Perhaps today I may try to see what needs to be done to finish my chambray shirt...

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #487 on: December 05, 2017, 07:03:34 PM »
Grasshopper - I am so glad to hear your good news... Huzzah for health!

Yesterday I actually started on pattern making for my Alabama Chanin style cardigan. Rather than continue my struggles with other bodice/blouse patterns, I am going to simply copy the measurements of a handknit cardigan I have that fits me well enough. For this garment, which is loosely fit at best, it should work. I also want to be able to carefully place the large floral motifs before doing all the hand stitching, so that they are not centered in the bust area! It has gotten cold enough here that some more cardigans will be very welcome. I will probably make up a "muslin" of the pattern in some other jersey fabric, just to avoid any surprises in translating between handknit and jersey
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #488 on: December 06, 2017, 12:27:16 AM »
Yay, Grasshopper! Just what we wanted to hear.

My partner just left to return home today :( (major sad face), but on the plus side I will be over there in 2.5 weeks and in the meantime I can engage in a sewing marathon! Whee!

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #489 on: December 06, 2017, 02:18:21 AM »
Wonderful news, Grasshopper. Thanks for letting us know.

Karendee