Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69637 times)

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #385 on: November 14, 2017, 08:19:04 PM »
Some fun plans here and some interesting interpretations of the rules...I like that.

I concluded that I can't do SWAP this time. I was struggling with the color allotment bit and it really wasn't working with the directions I wanted to go. I was wanting to use one primary neutral and several accent colors. Or, another variation of direction had a lot more variety...think Sonya Philip. I realize I only want to sew what I want to sew at the moment and not put more energy into figuring out a plan.

I'm also having a fashion crisis. It started about 2 weeks ago. I suddenly realized that I no longer like black on me and I wasn't liking some most of my clothes. My beloved Style Arc Ethel pants (black linen) are looking sloppy to me, not cool. My Fave top looks dumb....which is just terrific, as I was going to use both patterns. Back to scratch...

Then I got two outside comments from people. One gal at the Senior Center said I've lost too much weight and was too thin. She volunteered the info. I'm "normal" weight but no where near skinny or scrawny. The next morning I was chatting with the technician during a mammogram. I was in the Ethel's, we were talking weight loss, veganism, my loss and she asked me "Then why are you still wearing your big girl pants?" I stammered something about the style, Lagenlook, etc. She shook her head, chuckled, and said she wasn't buying it. When I got home I was still flabbergasted. I was thinking "did I just get "skinny shamed" ?" for lack of a better term....or maybe just loose clothing comments. I dunno....but it resonated in me.

So I got outside input that I need to rethink my style, plus colors, etc. All my TNT patterns are in the Lagenlook vein and frankly are looking too voluminous to me, and, it turns out, the general public as well. ALL my various SWAP plans are loose & comfy, mostly Lagenlook. I really no longer know how to dress more "mainstream".

I think I'm going shopping to try on clothes in styles I normally ignore for me. Yes, it includes jeggings and skinny pants. I'm seeing all sorts of cold shoulder light weight sweaters....I'll try those too. This is not the best time of the year for hitting the stores and shopping malls, but you do what you have to do. I'll go with an open mind and a fairly empty wallet.  ;) ...as I'm shopping shapes mostly. Then come home and prowl through my patterns.

I'm planning on making some leggings and am drafting them from a Craftsy class I'm taking. I do like leggings.

It is clear to me that, as slow as I sew and from this point of being totally adrift style wise I'll be very fortunate if I get 2 or 3 patterns to use and a couple of wearable garments by the time SWAP ends. I am so totally ready to sew the good fabric! I just need to figure out what it should look like...

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: November 14, 2017, 08:31:27 PM »
Garden Girl,

Just wondering if you live near a Nordstrom's or other store that is known for having good personal shoppers.  If so,  I'd suggest calling them and telling them that you've lost weight and need to rethink your wardrobe.  Ask them what info they need in advance.  Measurements?  Ideas of what sort of things you need to dress for (and your current thoughts about what  you might want).   A "pre-visit" so that they'll know what they're looking for?

They'll pull things for you to try.  And give you some styling ideas too.  There's no purchase obligation at Nordstrom's (although they obviously will hope that you'll decide you need some of the things they find for you).  I'd guess that other stores have similar policies,but I'd check.

It's a way to see what someone else thinks you might want...and to try out some of the current fashion ideas.

Just an idea,

Lisa

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #387 on: November 14, 2017, 09:13:00 PM »
Thanks, Mary. You too!

Lisa, thank you for the tips. Very helpful.

Garden Girl, I have been through a fashion/style crisis before. I went through one with the colour black. When I was younger I could wear it and now I really can't, as my colours have faded with age. On the one hand it's a stressful moment when your old standbys no longer look right; on the other hand it's an exciting opportunity. I went out for a day of shopping when mine happened, with a friend who had studied fashion. It was interesting to hear her suggestions as to what colours and shapes I could try. In the end, her style tips didn't much work for me, but it got me thinking about colour and shape and how I am perceived by others. It took me a while, but I gradually worked out what colours I like now with my colouring and also what shapes really are right for me (which for me involved taking a step back to my "college" style, which sounds strange, but is true). Lisa's tip to go to a personal shopper (without commitment) sounds perfect. I would love to see your SWAP if you change your mind.

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #388 on: November 14, 2017, 09:15:26 PM »
Garden Girl,

Just wondering if you live near a Nordstrom's or other store that is known for having good personal shoppers.  If so,  I'd suggest calling them and telling them that you've lost weight and need to rethink your wardrobe.  Ask them what info they need in advance.  Measurements?  Ideas of what sort of things you need to dress for (and your current thoughts about what  you might want).   A "pre-visit" so that they'll know what they're looking for?

They'll pull things for you to try.  And give you some styling ideas too.  There's no purchase obligation at Nordstrom's (although they obviously will hope that you'll decide you need some of the things they find for you).  I'd guess that other stores have similar policies,but I'd check.

It's a way to see what someone else thinks you might want...and to try out some of the current fashion ideas.

Just an idea,

Lisa

Great idea Lisa. Only A Nordstrom Rack here, but they are helpful. Come to think of it, I've got a gift card with about $100 left on it for them. Uh oh... ;D

Back in the day I managed clothing stores and did personal shopping and private wardrobe consulting as well, coordinated fashion shows, etc. The irony of currently being totally adrift in this arena is not lost on me. Definitely terra incognita.

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #389 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:07 PM »
Morzell, You are right. No point working myself into a frenzy. If I do part of my SWAP for conference, then those need to be completed in 2 weeks starting Dec 26. even if I finish one garment before  that and use RTW for the rest, it’s still highly insane  / Impossible / Super stressful.

I live in Greater Toronto area - official winter is really from end of Dec to March and it’s super cold until March end.

I’m going to stop fretting about a colour plan and focus on patterns / silhouettes and work on muslins for patterns I know I want in my SWAP for now.

Gardengirl, I’ve lost quite a bit of weight in the last 1.5 years and I still wear loose fitting clothing without intention. I donated most of my larger size clothing but still seem to find 1-2 lurking somewhere. I agree with one of the advice mentioned above - RTW snoop shopping always helps to see what looks good on you and what feels great to decipher your current style.  You can always make multiple copies of what you like in various colors and style later.

I want to get a professional colour analysis done someday. Maybe if you are wondering about colours, you might like to get one done?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:40:58 PM by KayoticSewing »

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #390 on: November 14, 2017, 09:54:44 PM »
Garden Girl, I have been through a fashion/style crisis before. I went through one with the colour black. When I was younger I could wear it and now I really can't, as my colours have faded with age. On the one hand it's a stressful moment when your old standbys no longer look right; on the other hand it's an exciting opportunity. I went out for a day of shopping when mine happened, with a friend who had studied fashion. It was interesting to hear her suggestions as to what colours and shapes I could try. In the end, her style tips didn't much work for me, but it got me thinking about colour and shape and how I am perceived by others. It took me a while, but I gradually worked out what colours I like now with my colouring and also what shapes really are right for me (which for me involved taking a step back to my "college" style, which sounds strange, but is true). Lisa's tip to go to a personal shopper (without commitment) sounds perfect. I would love to see your SWAP if you change your mind.

Stephanie, thanks for sharing. Yes, black. Suddenly, one day, I had added just enough gray to shift my hair color. It's still very little, metallic silver, which I love, and scattered here and there so that I still do not read gray. But it lightened the dark brown enough that I've shifted . Before I was always a Winter that could do most Autumn as well, but now, much of the Winter choices are a bit harsh.

My SWAP plans centered around a chocolate brown, with some black. Accent color/ other neutrals for me are olive, forest and sage greens, bittersweet- a sort of burnt orange, colors in the aubergine/plum/merlot range, deep teal and for kicks, a touch of turquoise and mustard. The mustard can't be near my face and the others need a red undertone, not yellow undertones.

Eventually a wardrobe will get created with them but I'm seriously slow. I'll be lucky to get a couple of patterns to my liking and 2 or 3 wearable garments for now.

Lisa, I'll be at Whole Foods for a cooking class this weekend. The center has Talbot's, JJill and Chicos, plus several stores for 20 year olds.  ;) It seems I am a size 12. That seems silly; I was a 12 both 25 years and pounds ago. But I again fit into the standard misses range, more or less, so I can try some stuff on if I want most any shop I go into and that is a plus.

Kay, I think getting your colors done would be fun for you. I had mine done eons ago and still get value from it.

Offline Susan

• Sewstyled
« Reply #391 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:14 PM »
Morzel, thanks for the encouragement to go real with my SWAP.

From looking through my blog, I've sewn about 10- 14 garments per year, so it doesn't seem manageable for me to finish though I could start, maybe I could manage a 6PAC? 
I would need to do a lot of fabric shopping - my fabric stash is small  with more summer/cotton fabrics than fabrics suitable for fall winter.

Garden Girl, the colours for your SWAP have so many colours I like so I hope you show us what you make up.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:52:10 PM by Susan »

Offline caro488

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #392 on: November 14, 2017, 11:04:54 PM »
Well, I sewed up a pair of pants in a lovely brown plaid. I used the same pattern as the pants I am wearing now, in a twill. The new pants are WAY too tight!. I used the same pattern and sewed them both on the serger. I used this pattern for all my summer capris in linen blends. Why don't my new pants Fit! AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #393 on: November 15, 2017, 01:16:11 AM »
Well, I sewed up a pair of pants in a lovely brown plaid. I used the same pattern as the pants I am wearing now, in a twill. The new pants are WAY too tight!. I used the same pattern and sewed them both on the serger. I used this pattern for all my summer capris in linen blends. Why don't my new pants Fit! AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!

Could it be that the previously made pants used fabrics with some stretch whereas new one has no stretch?

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #394 on: November 15, 2017, 03:04:44 AM »

Caro488, that has happened to me. And Burda misled me into thinking that white sateen would be acceptable for the same pants...I made one leg and they were both too tight and see-through. Not good! Really not good. Maybe you can salvage these pants. Can you add a bit at the sides (from the seam allowance or putting in jaunty stripes?).

Garden Girl: I love your colours! Beautiful palette. I think the same thing has happened to my hair colour. Now that I am close to fifty, I see a fair bit of grey. It blends fairly well as my hair is medium-light brown naturally, but it's different. I like it, but it changes my colours a bit for sure. I read somewhere that virtually everyone is at least half grey by the age of fifty. Not sure if that is true.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:08:02 AM by stephaniecan »

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #395 on: November 15, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »
Stephanie, thanks for sharing. Yes, black. Suddenly, one day, I had added just enough gray to shift my hair color. It's still very little, metallic silver, which I love, and scattered here and there so that I still do not read gray. But it lightened the dark brown enough that I've shifted . Before I was always a Winter that could do most Autumn as well, but now, much of the Winter choices are a bit harsh.

Garden Girl - The other day I stumbled over this page - it said, that deep winter types could sometimes also wear deep autum colours. And, that if they turn grey, they turn into a cool. Check out the page.
Eva

Offline caro488

« Reply #396 on: November 15, 2017, 08:47:20 PM »
Stephanie, yes, I was wondering about cutting a piece with the plaid going the other way and inserting it! Probably a simple strip would look like it was intended.....

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #397 on: November 16, 2017, 01:11:24 AM »
caro488: I think that would look great. You could even go for a contrast stripe, maybe in a darker colour. I think that would look great (and intentional).

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #398 on: November 16, 2017, 03:59:27 AM »
caro488, maybe a bias strip would look cool in a plaid? It definitely would look intentional. Just a thought. :)

Indigotiger, your new fabric is a beauty! I like the revised plan. I suppose a rain poncho would be quite handy for spring! I guess you are subbing it in for the indigo jacket? You have a nice variety of outer layers in this group. I just love your Gudrun Sjoden-inspired design done Alabama Chanin style. Would you believe I had considered something similar? ;D

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #399 on: November 16, 2017, 04:18:16 AM »
actually a rain poncho, covering my shoulders, chest/back, and partway down my arms will be a useful garment in late autumn through springtime, as it can be layered with wool sweaters if the precipitation is moderate, and be easy to remove while on the bus, to regulate temperature. (If we get a really cold blustery snowy winter, like we may this year, then I will switch to my wool coat with a long wool over-vest) I tried out the concept last rainy season by simply cutting a hole in the center of a square of DWR fabric, and while that worked quite well, I would like a somewhat more "finished" garment! Am thinking that a low cowl neckline would be nice, and possibly a bit of shapeing around the edges, and definitely binding all the edges neatly... that way it meets this rule:
Garments such as poncho, cape or wrap must include at least two pattern pieces
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #400 on: November 16, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »

From looking through my blog, I've sewn about 10- 14 garments per year, so it doesn't seem manageable for me to finish though I could start, maybe I could manage a 6PAC? 

Susan - would a "slow sewing swap" work for you?   The time I did it, I loved that I could fall back on my SWAP plan after sewing other things.  It was nice having the plan to organize my sewing for BH, but I loved not having the deadline - time frame element which might have compromised my including some of the things that were more challenging and would take time to actually sew.  I actually did finish the SWAP, but it was definitely slow sewing.  It was immensely satisfying for me to have completed.   Not sure the slow sewing swap works for everyone, but I am actually considering it again for this SWAP -  though I am not even close to a workable plan yet.

ETA for clarity.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:18:16 PM by CCL »

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #401 on: November 16, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »

Susan - would a "slow sewing swap" work for you?   The time I did it, I loved that I could fall back on my plan after sewing off plan things.  I loved having the plan, loved not having the deadline - time frame element and actually did accomplish it.  Not sure it works for everyone, but I am actually considering it again for this SWAP -  though I am not even close to a workable plan yet.
CCL - I really like your idea of a “slow sewing swap”.  I’m still having trouble deciding things but what I love is that it is making me stop and think about what I want to wear, what I want to make and how it could all go together to make wearable outfits for me.  I can really see the value in this process.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #402 on: November 16, 2017, 06:57:35 PM »
CCL - I really like your idea of a “slow sewing swap”.  I’m still having trouble deciding things but what I love is that it is making me stop and think about what I want to wear, what I want to make and how it could all go together to make wearable outfits for me.  I can really see the value in this process.

Turquoise, I believe IndigoTiger actually started the idea back in 2015... I dug up the thread Slow Sewing SWAP on the old stitchers guild, if you are interested in the idea.  I am not sure if it worked for others... but as I said, it helped me.  Of course, by going "slow" one sort of is opting out of the competition end of the SWAP with the deadline.

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #403 on: November 16, 2017, 07:41:07 PM »

Turquoise, I believe IndigoTiger actually started the idea back in 2015... I dug up the thread Slow Sewing SWAP on the old stitchers guild, if you are interested in the idea.  I am not sure if it worked for others... but as I said, it helped me.  Of course, by going "slow" one sort of is opting out of the competition end of the SWAP with the deadline.

Thank you for linking to the Slow Sewing SWAP discussion on the old site.  In reading the first page of posts, it was comforting to me to realize that so many others struggle with getting their sewing plans and ideas out of their heads and into reality.  I like the idea of a slower pace and am trying to remember that the whole point is to create wearable garments that I love.  I'm still struggling with my SWAP plans, as I have a collection of fabric in my stash that works well together but it doesn't exactly fit this year's rules when it comes to colors and prints.  I am still pondering, but I may decide to come up with my own plan, specifically geared toward utilizing the fabric in my stash, that is sewn at a slower pace than the official SWAP.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #404 on: November 16, 2017, 08:21:58 PM »
Mary: I love your new profile photo!

The slow sewing discussion is very helpful. It actually suits my recent sewing output and plans very well. :) That said, I am still planning to ramp everything up and get this SWAP done during the time frame.

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #405 on: November 17, 2017, 02:32:40 AM »
actually a rain poncho, covering my shoulders, chest/back, and partway down my arms will be a useful garment in late autumn through springtime, as it can be layered with wool sweaters if the precipitation is moderate, and be easy to remove while on the bus, to regulate temperature.

You'll get a ton of use out of it in rainy PDX.  ;D 
Excellent choice.

Offline Nui

« Reply #406 on: November 17, 2017, 03:03:01 AM »
Hi all! Complete newbie here, long time lurker. I’ve read on SWAP for a few years now and finally decided to take the plunge and actually do it. I got a little bit obsessed with capsule wardrobes and after putting a few together, l’m very excited to sew my own. I started sewing seriously when I studied fashion design (wasn’t able to finish but I can manage) and can’t wait to get back on the saddle, so to speak.

I really enjoy the planning part and the rules for 2018 look good, doable...I will star sewing after December 3rd (I have a test that day and need to study), but I’ve already started planning. Wish me luck!

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #407 on: November 17, 2017, 04:27:30 AM »
Indigotiger, your rain poncho sounds really useful. Would adding a hood be a benefit, I found with my rain cape it kept the rain from running down my neck.

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #408 on: November 17, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
Thanks for the slow sewing link.
combine the idea of planned garment sewing with the kindness of slow sewing
I particularly like this quote from Indigotiger.
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #409 on: November 17, 2017, 06:17:28 PM »
Hello, Nui, and welcome! ;D Good luck with your first SWAP! :)

Beebee, it's great to see you back for SWAP this year! Your colors are very pretty. I like light pink as a neutral. You might want to double-check your plan, though -- you'll need 11 garments, not 10! (Unless of course you are using RTW for your 11th, and then never mind...)

Stephanie, I enjoyed the trip "through the weird thinking in [your] head." I need to do some more thinking about the timeline myself. It sounds like you have a reasonable plan (and I like how you've used realistic vs. your fantasy life goals ;D ). You also touch on an important point, which is that you'll want to be able to wear your new things as outfits as you go. (Bonus: this will also help with photography, I think.)

Audrey, welcome back to SG. :) I remember seeing one of your SWAPs back when I first joined. I enjoyed reading your take on this year's rules. Like Stephanie, I also liked the mention of using a certain style feature as a signature element that ties the collection together. That gives us all another fun challenge to think about, if we so choose.

I'm not sure if I'll have time to sew my early bird garment this time after all. It is still a possibility but I am running out of time (my sister will arrive for a 3-week visit on 1 December!). If I do, it will definitely be a long black skirt! Very versatile and much needed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:27:21 PM by M lambie »

Offline Tulip

« Reply #410 on: November 17, 2017, 06:26:47 PM »
Can I create clothes for my daughter with this swap?

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #411 on: November 17, 2017, 07:56:20 PM »
Tulip wrote
Can I create clothes for my daughter with this swap?
In the past people have chosen to create a whole SWAP for someone other than themselves... I would think that as long as your garments all are created using this years plan, that it does not need to be a SWAP for you, but could be for your daughter...
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #412 on: November 17, 2017, 11:54:11 PM »
Welcome, Tulip!  - As IndigoTiger mentioned, several of us have planned SWAPs for family members.  Warpjr1965 did one several years ago for her daughter - and if I remember correctly, her daughter picked out many, if not all, the patterns and fabrics.

Jen??? and FabricKated both did SWAPs for their sons, and I did one for Better Half, though we did them in different years.   Those are just a few, but I am sure that there are more... Go for it!

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #413 on: November 18, 2017, 12:03:12 AM »
Good memory CCL!

Yes, a few years ago I did a SWAP for DD, I think she was 11 at the time. She chose the fabrics and patterns, with a little guidance from me.  I don't recall anything in this year's rules that would keep you from doing a SWAP for someone else.

It is so fun to read everyone's ideas percolating, and see newer faces joining/re-joining SWAP.

I am having a hard time, I have so many other things to do, and the budget is tight, that I really need to focus on what has to get done.  SWAP is a bit of a non-essential right now.  I hope I can sort out the other issues by the official sewing start date.
Wendy

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #414 on: November 18, 2017, 03:16:19 AM »
Thanks, Mary. I hope you have a nice family visit, even if you don't get your early bird done (though a long black skirt sounds like a great idea). I will be similarly distracted by my rambunctious partner who will arrive on Wed and will be here for a couple of weeks, plus the Christmas knitting I really need to get started on! I went through the weird thinking in my head largely to expose on paper how unrealistic my thinking and plans often are. I don't know whose time I'm [not] managing in my head!

I spent more time with my notebook and paper today, thinking through - let's call it visualizing - how my SWAP might actually be executed in practice. I mean, don't Olympic athletes complete gold medal races by visualizing their achievement in advance? :)

Welcome Nui. Enjoy your SWAP.

I also remember Wendy's SWAP for her daughter. It's a great idea. I would love to do a SWAP for my partner. He'd even be willing. I have a TNT shirt for him, but I think I'd have trouble with most other types of garments. I'd have fun trying though. I have a TNT boxer short pattern for him, too, but that would make an indecent SWAP. :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:17:59 AM by stephaniecan »

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #415 on: November 18, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »
Mary, your visual reference is great. I always liked your silhouette.

Grasshopper - enjoy the sewing this weekend and show us a photo of the top!

Audrey - good to see you back in SWAP action! You always presented very interesting SWAPs and great workmanship.

Beebee - I really liked last year collection's colours, and this year's again. They fit right in there.

I sewed up a tshirt and a sweater muslin, trying to copy pattern/garment. Am satisfied with the shirt, not with the sweater. Somehow the neckline (cowl/turtle/funnel?) is not what I imagined it...
Eva

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #416 on: November 18, 2017, 04:23:54 PM »
Audrey, very much looking forward to what you sew for your collection.

Lyneisa/Grasshopper, amazing that you can get such a great colour scheme from fabric you already have. I would go with it

I've been doing easy sewing in small spurts, Christmas stokcings, stretchy hats and simple tees in dressy fabrics. I had some stretch velvet left from one of the tees and did a few hats, they are cute and a different level of dressiness to the fleece version (no photos yet but maybe next week). I might have one as an optional accessory.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #417 on: November 18, 2017, 04:35:44 PM »
Lyneisa/Grasshopper: I feel your dilemma. I have the same thing to some extent, especially with my knitting yarn. There are colours in my yarn stash that really don't align with the colours that I most like to wear. I've been hanging on to them, in part because I also grew up with the mentality that you use what you have. (My mom cross-stitched Use it up/Wear it out/Make it do/Do without and put it on the wall!) I very much behave in this way with many things - wearing and repairing shoes, coats, using old furniture, avoiding food waste, etc. On the other hand, time is precious at this stage in my life and so I've decided to give away the things related to my making that don't suit me. When I knit I want to knit things I'm going to love wearing. That's not to say that you shouldn't sew with things already in your stash, especially if you like them, even if they are not part of your new "zesty" palette. It's only to suggest that one option could be to sell or give things that you are not in love with to a good home, or set the materials aside to make things for someone else for whom they are the perfect colour. Some of my yarn stash will turn into items for my mom, who can wear a lighter and "pinker" palette than I can.

PS I just reread your post and it seems you are pretty happy with where you are with your plan, so go for it!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:39:16 PM by stephaniecan »

Offline beebeeshandmadedress

« Reply #418 on: November 18, 2017, 10:56:57 PM »
M Lambie:
it's great to see you back for SWAP this year! Your colors are very pretty. I like light pink as a neutral. You might want to double-check your plan, though -- you'll need 11 garments, not 10! (Unless of course you are using RTW for your 11th, and then never mind...)

Thanks! I thought it was odd that I didn't have 11 pieces this year. I'm pleased as I have another patterned fabric that I would love to use in my plan encompassing my pink and sky colours.

Morzel:
I really liked last year collection's colours, and this year's again. They fit right in there.

Thank you. I'm so flattered you remembered my SWAP from last year. I find if I stick to a colour palette I know I already wear i'm usually much more likely to finish.

I've had a quick look at most of the individual threads and as always there is some great inspiration in there!

Grasshopper: I'm really loving the purple/green tones in your inspiration picture. I think they will suit you beautifully.

Treefrog: I really love how you've used nature to determine the colours in your SWAP. That pop of pink totally appeals to my style too!

Bessiecrocker: Lots to consider on your thread! But that general colour palette you have going will definitely carry you through to a fabulous capsule

Dagmaro: I think that your colour choices are lovely too, particularly those blues. Good luck on your first SWAP. We are all about cheerleading on this thread and I look forward to seeing your progress on those muslins.

I myself am musing over my fabric choices. I have bought some new patterns and its a perfect opportunity to use them. But with one pair of jeans the only bottom choice in my plan so far I feel i'm limiting myself somewhat. I just love prints and i'm finding it tricky to balance out the number of prints to neutral/accent.

Anyone else have this problem?

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #419 on: November 19, 2017, 04:43:24 AM »
I myself am musing over my fabric choices. I have bought some new patterns and its a perfect opportunity to use them. But with one pair of jeans the only bottom choice in my plan so far I feel i'm limiting myself somewhat. I just love prints and i'm finding it tricky to balance out the number of prints to neutral/accent.

Anyone else have this problem? 

You need three garments out of each of your first two neutrals.  And one each from either two prints and an accent colour, or one print and two  accent colours.  That's nine garments.  The last two garments use either your prints, neutrals or accent colours (not introducing any more new prints or colours).  If you're following the SWAP guidelines then I'm not sure how it's unbalanced. 

I love your colour choices BeeBees, I'm just sure what you mean by unbalanced, and how you're looking at your prints and neutrals.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:46:49 AM by Melinda_B »
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/