Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69629 times)

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #350 on: November 12, 2017, 12:13:53 AM »
Ha ha! Just read your post, Dagmar. Yay, Team Dagmar! (I think I need a team Stephanie, post haste...although my partner just told me he'd go to the Arno, dig up clay and impress me with his pottery after I mentioned that I'd gone to a pottery show today...He makes a pretty good team!)

I really, really think that it's all of the angles and quirks and changes that add to our beauty, not detract from it. As a young person I hated my beak-like nose, but as an older person I see all of the lines in my face that are meant to be there from my genetic makeup. You're lucky that you have the skill to fit everything (I do not...yet :)).

Wendy: Lovely colours and plan!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:15:30 AM by stephaniecan »

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #351 on: November 12, 2017, 02:07:24 AM »
I find SWAP a little overwhelming in terms of being able to comment on what everyone is doing. I am following along with great interest even though I'm not making many comments about people's fantastic plans. I am quietly cheering you on!

I have a muslin to sew this evening, and assuming it turns out, I'll have to choose one item from SWAP to sew now, probably one of the woven tops since that is what my wardrobe is most lacking.

I'm fighting the urge to cut everything for all of my projects out ahead of January. It is convenient to have all of my projects precut, but if I don't end up making the item for SWAP and my weight changes before I get to it, bah!

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #352 on: November 12, 2017, 03:49:10 AM »
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with talking fabric! ;) ;D

Elephun
, I know what you mean, it is so difficult to comment on all the threads. I hope your latest muslin turns out well. Regarding the cutting, maybe you could just cut one or two garments in advance? And leave the rest, just in case?

Ruthie, I thought that article about colors as neutrals was very interesting! I noticed that your two neutrals were featured, how nice. :) I definitely use burgundy as a neutral. I considered it for SWAP but the fabrics I have are too different from one another (too purpley or too brown etc.).

Dagmar, I'm glad you managed a successful muslin for your top!

Stephanie, those are great sketches. You are planning some complicated sewing, it looks like! It will be a beautiful collection.

I noticed a few new plans popped up! Susan, I like the idea of your hypothetical SWAP. It's a good way to plan, I think.

CCL, why did you have to include links to your fabrics? :o You are an enabler! ;) I seriously love your Bari fabric and had to sternly remind myself that it is probably too much on the warm side of the spectrum for me (saw some other lovelies there though but never mind). Your plan sounds quite classy and I'm glad you decided to include your lovely jacket.

Sew me, welcome to the site and to SWAP! :) Those are great sketches, I like how you've colored them in. Your floral print fabric is so pretty.

Wendy, I like your current selection of fabrics AND your rule-bending. :) If your royal purple is one of your neutrals, which garments would you make from it? I am trying to picture this in my head. I like the sound of purple as a neutral!

Kay, sorry your original plan didn't work out. I'm looking forward to the new one. Also I'm adding this line from your post to my SWAP words of wisdom list:

I have to remember that I can have any colour garment I want in my wardrobe but for now, think one collection at a time.

Great reminder!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:09:14 AM by M lambie »

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #353 on: November 12, 2017, 08:24:17 AM »
Mary you are the best at reading all the threads and commenting personally. I find myself rather overwhelmed with keeping up. I have read everyone's threads but haven't worked out a good way to comment on them all, perhaps having notepad open at the side could work?

I hate having these lovely materials sitting in stash. I tell myself that if I mess up with them it will still be better to be wearing wonky garments made with favourite fabrics than having the fabrics hiding in plastic bins in my sewing space!

I loved this quote by stepaniecan, I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I have a lot fo fabric and some of it has moved house with me 4 times (i did move a lot in a short period a few years ago) and these days I've stopped 'saving' fabric for something special, instead I've given myself permission to 'just sew' and its a great deal of fun.

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #354 on: November 12, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »
I’m sitting at the airport waiting for my flight to board and I can’t help but look at what people are wearing. Granted, this is a Saturday so there are very few business travelers, but it’s fascinating that no one is wearing wovens other than jeans. The world lives in knits and it must be because they are comfortable but also so forgiving of fit issues.  I love knits as much as the next person but I also love well cut trousers, jackets and other fitted clothing that is made from wovens. Thank goodness I can sew so that I can make these items fit me such that they are as comfortable as knit wear. My suitcase was overweight by a few pounds...it must be my fitting book (huge) that I brought to study as well as the 10 patterns that I’m going to analyze while DH is at meetings.   ;D !
Dagmar

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #355 on: November 12, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
I have to spend most of today doing chores, and any sewing should involve the fleece jacket I promised DH, so SWAP is on the back burner.

Ruthie, sometimes I'll open SG in a second tab, and scroll through individual threads to make my comments. Otherwise, I can't keep up. I agree, Mary is great at commenting and keeping track!

Dagmaro, I am one of those who lives in knits. I live in a cold climate, and they feel warmer to me in the winter time. Plus they are super comfy. My job requires movement, so knits fit the bill there too. I do wear wovens in summer, but I usually end up doing my winter/work sewing for SWAP.
Wendy

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #356 on: November 12, 2017, 03:14:56 PM »
Ruthie: I hope I can stick to this resolution as I have an awful lot of fabric that deserves to be worn! When I moved last week my best friend was helping me. When he put the bins down in the sewing room he asked me what was in them. "That's all fabric!?" he exclaimed. "It's fabric AND yarn, and other essentials," said I. A sign? I don't even think my stash is that big, but maybe I'm wrong. :)

Mary: You are just amazing at commenting.

Kayotic: That is a dilemma to have. It sounds like a good dilemma though (conference in a warm place) and getting to enjoy our lovely winter in Ontario!

SusanKP: I like the idea of a knitted sweater over a patterned shirt. I do that, too. I wonder if you could knit the navy sweater in a lace pattern, to give texture and to break up the feeling of solid dark. Another pattern, e.g. cables or another stitch pattern would also work.

Medea: I have found a good source for responsibly made, durable jeans, so I'm not making them at the moment, but you make me want to make jeans. A classic pair of jeans fits any collection, in my view.

Ruthie: I also have to get going on Christmas-related making. I love the feeling of the season starting already. I guess I'm ready for a holiday! Enjoy the whir of the machines.

Susan: I really like the way you've presented your inspiration board, with your colours lined up in a palette.

I was thinking about what Wendy and Dagmar were talking about above. I also live in a cold place. I do wear a lot of knits, but I also love wovens....so it seems that I wear knit underlayers (merino wool tights, merino base layers) under the wovens when it is really cold. I hadn't really thought about it. In recent years I have become a much more casual dresser than I used to be. When I was younger I always liked to wear a tailored pair of pants with a shirt and jacket. These days there are such nice base layers available that even on the coldest days I can usually wear my favourite things.

Offline caro488

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #357 on: November 12, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »
BessC, I love your fabric/inspiration pile! Please tell me the name of the Lake near your home.

Lyn-J - beautiful blues/grays! That would make a lovely collection!

Grasshopper, love BOTH your inspiration pix.

Offline caro488

« Reply #358 on: November 12, 2017, 05:00:19 PM »
Susan, I am really enjoying reading your blog Susew.

Ruthie, I have read your blog for years, and love ALL of your swaps! You are an inspiration to me.

Sew me! I love your birds of Paradise fabrics!

IndigoTiger, I have admired your creations as well. I have read lots f your blog also. Your indigo/brown is one of my favorite collections of fabric.

Lisanne, what a great inspiration picture!

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #359 on: November 12, 2017, 05:07:20 PM »
I have read everyone's threads but haven't worked out a good way to comment on them all, perhaps having notepad open at the side could work?

This is exactly what I do! :) Last night I had some free time so I thought I'd try to catch up. I know I won't be commenting as much when I am busy sewing so I thought I'd try to get some in now. :) Ruthie, I loved your comment about being back in the sewing room and hearing the sound of the machines going. I will be doing my first sewing in months today and I am so happy at the thought! (I'm sure it will be great for my mental health!)

SusanKP, I can relate to your struggle to find a third navy piece for your plan. I kept trying to count my navy plaid as my third piece (mental block!). I do like the idea of a knit sweater especially, as Stephanie suggests, if you knitted a pattern that added textural interest. Or could you use a navy dress maybe?

Regarding my own SWAP, I have decided that I will try to actually sew an early bird garment! :D Time permitting, I plan to sew my long black linen skirt before my sister arrives to visit on 1 December. I know I would like to wear it right away.

Offline caro488

« Reply #360 on: November 12, 2017, 05:30:22 PM »
Stephanie, I love reading your blog.
I am jealous of your many trips to Italy.
But mostly, I am amazed at your knitting. I can't believe looking at your graphs, and then, amazingly soon, seeing the finished item. (beavers!!)

I am not good at planning. This whole SWAP thing is just a bit much for me. I also prefer ultra simple patterns.

Do you get to a certain point on a creation, and just freeze? I have a patterned jacket that is nearly done, but I think is a bit too big, but I haven't fixed it or finished it the way it is.
I also have a chambray shirt that is together - needs buttons and hemming. I have suddenly lost interest....Perhaps the chambray is stiffer than I had hoped. If I ever finish it, I can wash the heck out of it, and see if the texture improves, but...

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #361 on: November 12, 2017, 06:25:35 PM »
Mary: Me, too. I will attempt an early bird garment.

Caro488: Thanks! That's so kind. Speaking for myself, I do get really, really stuck all of the time. Almost always, I have an idea for something and once I start working on it it seems less special than I had hoped. I especially run into problems if I start something and then have to put it aside for a couple of weeks for personal reasons. I have a lot of trouble getting back to that thing. The truth is though that almost always when I push through, or convince myself to restart that thing, I end up liking it more than I had thought. I was having trouble getting started last night so I went back to knitting a hat I started back in September or October. I had been waffling over the colour choices but now that I am making progress on it I love it. I'm going to remind myself of this as I attempt to tackle this SWAP, and especially when I get discouraged in my sewing. Good luck getting back to those items. They will probably end up better than you think!

PS I know: I am incredibly privileged that I get to go to Italy so often. I never would have expected my life to turn out this way, but I am enjoying it while I can.

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #362 on: November 12, 2017, 07:23:24 PM »
Thanks Mary, it probably comes natural to a lot of people but it was indeed, an eye opener for me.

Kayotic: That is a dilemma to have. It sounds like a good dilemma though (conference in a warm place) and getting to enjoy our lovely winter in Ontario!

........  I was thinking about what Wendy and Dagmar were talking about above. I also live in a cold place. I do wear a lot of knits, but I also love wovens....so it seems that I wear knit underlayers (merino wool tights, merino base layers) under the wovens when it is really cold. I hadn't really thought about it. In recent years I have become a much more casual dresser than I used to be. When I was younger I always liked to wear a tailored pair of pants with a shirt and jacket. These days there are such nice base layers available that even on the coldest days I can usually wear my favourite things.

Stephanie, that is true - a good dilemma indeed.

I didn’t realize you are in Ontario as well. Mind if I ask where you got your merino base layers esp. the tights from? Or did you make them yourself?

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #363 on: November 12, 2017, 09:45:02 PM »
Kay:
I had to think for a moment! I run as well so I often buy sports-weight merino items. I have Ice breaker merino tops (from NZ I believe) and I have the most wonderful footless tights from the Running Room called "Smart wool" I believe. In winter I wear them under everything. For fancier tights to wear with dresses and under dress pants I buy the ones with feet. Unfortunately I don't remember having bought any in Canada recently, although I am sure they are available. The brand I buy when I am in Italy is from France and is called Bleu Forêt. They have different styles but the merino ones are my favourites. There's a blue and a very pretty aubergine, although I usually buy grey as that goes with everything. I would like to say that I am clever enough to make my own merino underlayers, as it would not be difficult I think, but I have not done so yet. I am a big believer in wool everything, although I know that other people prefer underlayers in synthetics or even silk.

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #364 on: November 13, 2017, 04:35:45 AM »
Kay:
I had to think for a moment! I run as well so I often buy sports-weight merino items. I have Ice breaker merino tops (from NZ I believe) and I have the most wonderful footless tights from the Running Room called "Smart wool" I believe. In winter I wear them under everything. For fancier tights to wear with dresses and under dress pants I buy the ones with feet. Unfortunately I don't remember having bought any in Canada recently, although I am sure they are available. The brand I buy when I am in Italy is from France and is called Bleu Forêt. They have different styles but the merino ones are my favourites. There's a blue and a very pretty aubergine, although I usually buy grey as that goes with everything. I would like to say that I am clever enough to make my own merino underlayers, as it would not be difficult I think, but I have not done so yet. I am a big believer in wool everything, although I know that other people prefer underlayers in synthetics or even silk.

Thank you, Stephanie! I’ll look for those, esp the smartwool. There’s a running room store in my city, will go look for it. I believe in wool too. I can’t do lambswool or mohair but merinowool just seems to work well for me. Cashmere too but merinowool is more affordable.

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #365 on: November 13, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »
Thanks, Ruthie, for the link to the article about neutrals (https://bridgetteraes.com/2017/10/30/colored-neutrals/). 

This is the sewing version of when you should be studying for an exam so you clean or sort your wardrobe.

Haha! I remember that the apartement was the cleanest, when my roommates or I had exams coming up. Even the dishes got done promptly...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:23:36 PM by Morzel »
Eva

Offline Petlover

• UK
« Reply #366 on: November 13, 2017, 09:27:04 AM »
I am really enjoying following everyone's thinking process for this SWAP. Love the colour combinations, too. But most of all I am so impressed with the sketches I see coloured in with coloured pencils - at least I think that's how they've been done.

Offline SusanKP

« Reply #367 on: November 13, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »
I've had a rethink of my plans, as Ididn't really want a navy sweater, and definitely not a navy dress. As I am retired I don't need a plain formal dress ( apart from a LBD for funerals).

I can make a jacket out of this Linton Tweed as one of my print items, and then have a navy shell to go under it. I'll replace the navy cord casual skirt with a navy crepe one.

Z6301-180x180 by starryfish52, on Flickr

I do need jackets to go to some meetings so it will get used.

Offline Petlover

• UK
« Reply #368 on: November 13, 2017, 04:54:06 PM »
I've had a rethink of my plans, as Ididn't really want a navy sweater, and definitely not a navy dress. As I am retired I don't need a plain formal dress ( apart from a LBD for funerals).

I can make a jacket out of this Linton Tweed as one of my print items, and then have a navy shell to go under it. I'll replace the navy cord casual skirt with a navy crepe one.

Z6301-180x180 by starryfish52, on Flickr

I do need jackets to go to some meetings so it will get used.

I like that plan. A jacket made from that lovely material would be an investment and very pretty.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #369 on: November 13, 2017, 05:25:13 PM »
No problem, Kay. The Smartwool tights were a bit pricey, as I remember, but they wash very well and I wear them frequently, so they were a good investment. RR sometimes have sales as well.

SusanKP: I like the new plan. Lovely fabric.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #370 on: November 13, 2017, 08:33:01 PM »

I can make a jacket out of this Linton Tweed as one of my print items,

I do need jackets

Susan KP, good plan, beautiful fabric.

Smart Wool is a US brand...made in Colorado. (out of NZ wool, if I recall.) I am also a happy wearer of smarter wools. They wash really well, hold up well...worth the money. Wash in the regular wash. I don't machine dry them, however.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #371 on: November 13, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »
I agree, that fabric is gorgeous, SusanKP! Using the tweed plus a navy shell and crepe skirt definitely makes a better plan than adding a sweater you don't really want.

cathyd, I like the way you've outlined your possible color combos. I was trying to check out your sketch, too, but I can't really see it well. Is it possible you could share a larger version? :)

I was thinking about the optional accessory item a little more. While finalizing (hopefully ::) ) my plan I eliminated a grey cardi. I think the plan would be more balanced if I could include a not-black-or-navy layer but I have to include 2 dark layers in order to include all my required neutrals. So I was thinking of maybe adding a light shawl or wrap in grey, instead. Just a thought for now. I have a ton of different grey fabrics, not sure if any is suitable for this purpose though.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #372 on: November 13, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »
Good point, bessiecrocker: I machine wash the tights cold but hang to dry. They look like new even after many months of wear. Love them. The label in mine is written as "Smartwool," in kind of a handwritten script, with a little man in what looks like a sombrero beside it! It says they are made in Vietnam. I did not know that the company is Colorado-based. I like the wide but not tight waistband and the fabric is fabulous. I've also found the Ice Breaker  (icebreaker? Company scripts are so strange) underlayers to be excellent (I use them mostly for sport) and they wash and wear so well. When I bought those ones at a local sports store they told me that that company is New Zealand-based. Make sense...there are a lot of sheep in NZ! (Although manufacture seems to always be in Asia, unsurprisingly.)

I'm so pleased with myself as I went through the tedious but necessary task of organizing my sewing materials to set up the making of the suit that has been sitting in a bag for the last year. I also spent some time looking at the skirt pattern that is also part of a Burda dress pattern that I am planning for my SWAP. Given that I usually bite off more than I chew, I am seeing potential in repeating this skirt and/or dress and suit (all part of the same pattern) in my SWAP. I'm going to get started on the toile before Christmas. Yay! I might be productive for a change! I have finished about two-thirds of a knitted hat this weekend, too. Not sure who this is going to go to...

Mary: love the idea of a wrap.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:03:37 PM by stephaniecan »

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #373 on: November 13, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »
Stephanie, I guess these are instances where pricey is worth it when they last long and provide more value and eventually the cost per use comes down quite low.

Bessiecrocker, yes, I agree, No dryer. Most of my clothes have never touched the inside of a dryer ever. And they have lasted pretty well.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:17:33 PM by KayoticSewing »

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #374 on: November 13, 2017, 09:37:08 PM »
Kay, That's how I look at things, too.

Offline Petlover

• UK
« Reply #375 on: November 13, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »
Kay:

Thanks for the Bleu Floret recommendation. I see lots of people wearing coloured tights here in the UK and have wondered which brand is cozy but not itchy and of good quality.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #376 on: November 14, 2017, 04:21:43 AM »
My pleasure, Petlover. I like them. I hope you do, too. There probably are many other brands that are nice in Europe, but this brand happens to be available at the department store near our apartment in Florence.

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #377 on: November 14, 2017, 06:57:10 AM »
Kay:

Thanks for the Bleu Floret recommendation. I see lots of people wearing coloured tights here in the UK and have wondered which brand is cozy but not itchy and of good quality.

Bleu Forêt is a great brand. All my store bought socks are made by them  :D I didn't know they had tights though and I'm going to have a look at their website.

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #378 on: November 14, 2017, 09:30:59 AM »
Wendy - I like the patterns you consider. This is the kind of SWAP I am going for as well - pants, hoodie, tshirt, cardigan. Just no leggings for me...  ;D Too bad the Orla dress hasn't worked out for you, it does look sweet. So no more dress? Or another pattern? Maybe someone here has a recommendation for your body type...

Elephun - you really are on a roll, doing all those muslins. And see how good it is to do them! Just keep on going.

Maybe what is really called for during swap is a Diet plan???
No. Sew for your now. Talk back to your fabric! ;)

Medea - I like your feminine SWAP plan. I sewed up the ginger jeans and the pattern was good - even though, as with every very fitted pattern, it needs a bit of tweaking to fit the body. What I really liked is their very good instructions, on the webside the sewing gets explained in detail, with lots of pictures.

CCL - I really  like that brick colour as neutral! And the swatches you ordered - aren't those exactly the colours, that were given as 'coloured neutrals' in this article of Ruthie's?

Trying to work through the season dilemma

- I have a 4 day conferences a sunny place to attend in January. It’s bus. casual for travel and for daytime events and formal attire for 2  evenings and 1 gala night and as usual, I got nothing to wear.

I hear you with the season dilemma... But for this conference, I would really go and buy the stuff you need. It is in January, not much time to sew, meaning lots of pressure/stress to accomplish parts of a business casual, formal attire and gala night wardrobe... I know I get overwhelmed if I feel there's more on my plate than I can eat, resulting in a standstill. So, (just my 2c) if I were you, I would stick with the winter wardrobe holes you need to fill (and make those a SWAP) and that you can wear as soon as you finished them, even after January (I guess in Ontario you can still wear winter stuff in March?!).

SusanKP - beautiful tweed. Yes, go for it!! Rather than for a sweater you say you don't want/need even before SWAP starts. Don't sew up something just to meet the rules.

Susan - I do hope your SWAP does not stay hypothetical, as I really enjoy your sewing (in the show-and-tell thread you are regularly showing great garments).

Stephanie - you can determine the size of the image by adding the width inside the brackets, eg. [img width=400]. Hope that helps.
Eva

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #379 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
more about winter tights and wool socks, etc:

I'll put a plug in for a company near me that makes great socks. They don't advertise "smart wool" but they have made wool tights/etc. for decades. They also have some great combi-fibers (cotton and wool, etc.) if you really don't like the feel of wool against your skin. Also Cashmere and Angora combis, if you want luxury. Good color selection, tights for pregnancy, etc. Warning: not cheap. Well made, long lasting if cared for properly.  I can recommend everything they make...

Brand is called Falke. Available in UK, and in Europe. Maybe a bit harder to find in N. Am.? Bloomingdales, elsewhere?...and this website:
https://shop.hanrousa.com/department/falke-womens-socks-and-tights/

If you want warm, comfy socks to wear at home (instead of house slippers) look at their felt soled socks.
https://shop.hanrousa.com/product/falke-cosy-shoe-home-slipper-with-boiled-wool-sole-47571/
also an angora and leather version...if you want to go all out.

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #380 on: November 14, 2017, 11:49:17 AM »
Yes Falke socks are favourite of mine too, here’s their UK site, so presumably there’s also a US one.
https://www.falke.com/uk_en/women
I do remember they once made some vicuna socks, which came in a presentation box for an amazing price.  Don’t appear to be on their web-site now  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #381 on: November 14, 2017, 01:09:34 PM »
This is great. Thanks for the tips! Eva, that's great. I should have gone to the sandbox to figure that out. Now I remember.

I just checked my Bleu Forêt wool tights and saw that they are 67% wool, 30% cotton and 3% elastane. They're cozy and comfortable though. I remembered that another brand I buy in Italy for wool tights is Gallo. I think they include more wool, although I can't tell from the label. They are made in Italy, but probably available elsewhere. I will look for Falke. I have heard of the brand but I can't think where I have seen them. Basically, I just load up on wool tights as there is not a day in winter that I don't have some kind of a layer under my clothes. It's hovering around zero now but last week we had a -22C day with the wind chill and I am a wimp and always cold.
:)
I actually started sewing again yesterday, so I am more than excited about that. After I make my SWAP collection I should turn my hand to making tights or knitting socks again...but then again it will be spring and I will want to make some spring/summer clothes to take advantage of our brief summer!

PS Modified my photo as I was taking up a lot of space! I think I was trying to show the full dress as I actually made it (lately I have been very unproductive). :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:19:22 PM by stephaniecan »

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #382 on: November 14, 2017, 01:29:00 PM »
Commenting again so I don't have to modify the last comment again. Eva, I love your choices. But then again I am a passionate blue person. They all look very comfortable but with special details. Great comments to others as well. You make a good point to Kay about being able to wear winter clothes in Ontario in March... At least where I live, that is resoundingly true.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #383 on: November 14, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
Eva, I like how you've outlined your plan! Great colors, too. Any combination of burgundy, plum, navy, and grey is a combination that I like! ;D I also like the interesting details in your inspiration pics, especially the hoodies and the shirt (t-shirt?) in the 2nd pic, top left. Also, I don't think I thanked you for weighing in on my print/neutral fabric choice question earlier in the thread. After receiving the (darker) black plaid and comparing it to the others, I agree that it works as a neutral. I appreciate your input! :)

Stephanie, how happy for you that you started sewing again! ;D I, too, have enjoyed this wonderful feeling yesterday. I sewed up a quick pair of leggings, my first finished garment of 2017. I am quite pleased. :D

Elephun, what a surprise with your measurements! I'm glad you realized the issue, though, and will be able to sew a new muslin of the pattern. Hopefully the new one will be just what you need.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #384 on: November 14, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »
Mary you are the best at reading all the threads and commenting personally. I find myself rather overwhelmed with keeping up. I have read everyone's threads but haven't worked out a good way to comment on them all, perhaps having notepad open at the side could work?
This is exactly what I do! :) Last night I had some free time so I thought I'd try to catch up. I know I won't be commenting as much when I am busy sewing so I thought I'd try to get some in now. :)

Thought I'd offer a method that can work for those of you who have trouble commenting on the individual threads:

1.  Open a second window.  You need to have a reply/editing window open in the Chatter thread in the second window.  This is where you'll put your comments as you review individual threads in the First window. 

2.  Alt-Tab between windows & get any material you want to quote.  Look at an individual thread, hit "quote" if you want to quote something from it, then copy the quoted material from the editing window in the first window.  (Note that you're not going to reply on the individual thread, but you are going to use the "quote/reply" mechanism to copy material for your reply in the Comments thread.)

3.  Alt-Tab back to the 2nd window & paste.  Alt-Tab back to the second window (where your growing reply for the Chatter thread is), & make sure your cursor is at the bottom of your reply (so that the quoted material will be there, instead of in the middle of any comments you've already made on another thread :o :o).  Paste the quoted material from the individual thread you were reviewing.  Add your comment on the thread you've just reviewed, and delete anything you didn't want to quote from the quoted material you just pasted.  Comment away.

4.  Don't post on the Individual thread! Alt-Tab back to the first window, then use your "back" button, so that you don't leave a reply in the individual thread you just commented on.  Then look at another individual thread in the first window.  (If you make a mistake and hit "post" on an individual thread that you were copying material from, just edit your post to say something like "oops," and we'll get rid of it for you.  You can even hit the "report to moderator button" if you'd like--but we're likely to see it and delete it for you, even if you don't.)

5.  Rinse & repeat for all the threads you'd like to comment on. ;) ;D

6.  Save & don't lose your post!  When you've made all the comments you want to make on individual threads, highlight the entire editing window in your second window (on the Chatter thread) & copy ("Ctrl+C" if you're using a PC).  If you've been working on it a while, you don't want to lose your post.  If you've copied and the software goes "wonky" on you, you'll be able to paste it back into an editing window.  Post saved!

I love reading all of your posts...so HTH,

Lisa