Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69633 times)

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #315 on: November 09, 2017, 03:36:55 AM »
Elephun, thank you for the cutting tip.  It is amazing how small changes in how we carry ourselves can have such an impact on our physiques.  Maybe if I had taken more care with my posture and holding myself more erect, I wouldn't have the issue I now have with a burning neck, forward shoulders and a sloping right side shoulder which I described on my individual thread as I burn through muslins testing out a simple top pattern! 

I also wanted to ask if you would mind sharing how you make up your fantastic charts/tables.  I really find the way you are presenting your swap makes it very easy to see the pattern, the fabric and the descriptors.  If anyone else has a great idea ( thanks for giving the detail on yours, Melinda), please share it as I am really challenged in this area.
Dagmar

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #316 on: November 09, 2017, 03:52:19 AM »
Elephun, wow! you are amazing to crank out a lot of muslins at record speed.

I used to get extremely painful shoulders and very tired cutting patterns and fabric, and I'd have to take long breaks between each step in the muslin (and regular sewing) process. Sometimes I'd have to wait days between each step.

Someone on PR recently posted this link: Using Tailors Shears and it opened a whole new world for me. I had previously always put my forefinger in the bottom loop of the scissor. After reading the blog post, I began putting my forefinger in the trigger position, and pulling my thumb more fully into the top loop. I am now so much more comfortable when cutting patterns and fabric!

Most people probably already cut this way, but if you don't, it might be worth checking out.

Here's an image showing the trigger finger:

Thank you , VERY educational. I will start using my heavy shears instead of the lightweight ones and see how it goes. Do you use them for EVERY cutting job? I think it might be a bit challenging for small stuff.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 03:56:20 AM by Diane in WV »
Let's talk about math

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #317 on: November 09, 2017, 05:22:04 AM »

dagmaro- here's what I do:

In Apple Keynote (Microsoft Powerpoint would work for this, too), I opened a blank slide in a new presentation. I inserted 2 rectangles and a text box and configured them how I wanted to display pattern picture on left, fabric picture on right, with text in middle. Once the sizes were right, I copied and pasted the three and proceeded to fill the slide with 11 matching sets of boxes. It looks something like this:

click to view huge image

I then paste the images onto the slide and resize them as needed, and I type the details into the respective text boxes. The rectangles could act as placeholders and then be deleted when the images are added. I have just left them.

Diane, the shears in the article are 14". I've never even seen that size scissor in real life! My largest shears are 10" Kai's and I use them for most fabric cutting jobs. I don't use them for cutting notches or trimming seam allowances; for these jobs I use Kai embroidery scissors, or Gingher duckbill scissors. Sometimes I do use my 8" Kai's for a quick fabric cutting job if the 10" ones are across the house.

Offline cathyd

• O/T Politics
« Reply #318 on: November 09, 2017, 07:23:01 AM »
Looking at the piles of fabric laid out on my cutting table my first thought is - drab.  The black, dark grey, dark denim blue, it's just too much dark.  Even my print is dark.

Years ago I had a sewing magazine, not sure what it was.  But I remember there was a mini wardrobe plan and they had you start with a print or plaid.  Then you picked two colors out of the print to make items in solid colors and picked a different print that shared those two colors and added a third.

I like the idea of starting with a print and pulling colors out of it.  I am going to dig deeper in my stash over the next 2 days looking for a print that inspires me. 

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #319 on: November 09, 2017, 07:26:45 AM »
good luck finding the right print :-)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #320 on: November 09, 2017, 07:41:42 AM »
https://insideoutstyleblog.com/2017/11/colour-makes-you-memorable.html

article from the fantastic Imogen Lamport (I'm a BIG fan), about why having a little colour in an outfit is a good thing.

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #321 on: November 09, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »
Thank you Elephun!  I will try to play around with this later on today.  With so many threads to follow, I think it is great to be able to condense the information so that it is quick to grasp the latest changes someone is making.

Ruthie, I am also a big believer in adding a little bit of colour to make neutrals pop.  The article by Imogen is a perfect demonstration of this.  Angie of YLF talks about this concept all the time and is a great at showing this in the images she presents.  As a case in point, today, I am wearing indigo jeans, a striped French blue shirt, a cornflower blue cashmere cardigan and a small scarf at my neck that is red based.  It just makes all those blues come to life.
Dagmar

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #322 on: November 09, 2017, 06:42:21 PM »

Diane, the shears in the article are 14". I've never even seen that size scissor in real life! My largest shears are 10" Kai's and I use them for most fabric cutting jobs. I don't use them for cutting notches or trimming seam allowances; for these jobs I use Kai embroidery scissors, or Gingher duckbill scissors. Sometimes I do use my 8" Kai's for a quick fabric cutting job if the 10" ones are across the house.
Mine are about eleven inches. I bought them at JoAnns. They are pretty heavy.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:44:18 PM by Diane in WV »
Let's talk about math

Offline Pagog

« Reply #323 on: November 10, 2017, 02:06:59 AM »
Eva Thanks for the compliments.  It's good to see your smiling face.

Ruthie I am thinking of making a scarf for my accessory; however, I don't like the idea of using half a length of fabric to do so.  Not sure what I would do with the other half. 

I had the same problem with my browns.  I couldn't get tones that went together.

Elephun I don't use scissors, but use a rotary cutter.  Easy on the body parts.

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #324 on: November 10, 2017, 04:07:05 AM »
I love reading up the swap chatter board and the individual swap threads.  There are so many lovely colour combinations that I'm feeling like my selection is a little bland in comparison.  My plans haven't progressed much further.

Can anyone suggest a jacket pattern that would suit a soft mid-weight linen fabric?

IndigoTiger  Thanks for the encouragement regarding the weaving.  I have put a sampler on the loom and should get about 12 different lace weaves out if it.  Hopefully one will work for a blouse but if not, I can at least tie on another warp and get a scarf from the same threading.

Elphun  I read that you had tried the Chai Tee and had trouble with the pleats not sitting right.  I had the same problem and think that is because the neckline is being stretched out.  I have put a review on PR if you are interested.

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #325 on: November 10, 2017, 04:27:54 AM »
Ruthie I am thinking of making a scarf for my accessory; however, I don't like the idea of using half a length of fabric to do so.  Not sure what I would do with the other half.  ....
I’ve cut scarves cross grain, needs a very small amount of fabric.  Scaves are also a great place to combine remnants; especially with SWAP. It can really tie your garments together to have a scarf with a piece of each.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Sew me!

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Re: Bring in the Colour: Dagmar's SWAP
« Reply #326 on: November 10, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »
Hi

I see this I also your first SWAP challenge. Did you start your board by choosing the 'new topic button'?

I love your colours!

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #327 on: November 10, 2017, 08:57:08 AM »
Treefrog- unfortunately, I didn't read your review until after I bought the Chai Tee pattern and was mid-sew! At least I know I'm not alone  ;) I stabilized the neckline with stay tape, but I definitely should have installed the binding in the round (instead of flat as the instructions said to) to keep things neat. If I make another attempt, I think I'll make a smaller size or two at the neck/shoulders for starters. This should help the neckline and pleats placement, and resolve the issue I was having with excess length at the front.

Pagog- that is a good tip. For some reason my shoulder acts up when I rotary cut, too.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #328 on: November 10, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »
Interesting tip, Elephun. Thank you.

Ruthie: Great article from IL. I had not read that one when I perused her site a while back. Something to think about.

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #329 on: November 10, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »
Pagog - I think you've picked a beautiful color scheme and I love your selection of fabrics!
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #330 on: November 10, 2017, 02:09:05 PM »
Ruthie - thanks for the great morning smiles I get from your individual thread posts…I can really relate to your muslin fitting woes!
I just saw this:  https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a9/0e/6c/a90e6ce310137785233d2e0ef2f35463.jpg on one of the blogs I follow (Doctor T designs).  She reviews Burda magazine each month and this pattern is in the December Burda.  Naturally this is right after I spent over 20 Euro on the Named pattern for the Beryl bomber coat:  https://i.pinimg.com/564x/49/3c/64/493c64799301e6090b5df6a552e9914e.jpg.  See any similarities???  I wish patience was one of my virtues; I would save lots of $$$!
Pagog, I echo other comments…beautiful colours and potential in your fabrics.
Dagmar

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #331 on: November 10, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
Lisanne I just read through your individual SWAP thread. You and I have been having similar thoughts! All summer I've been checking out Sonya Phillip's instagram site https://www.instagram.com/sonyaphilip/, all dreamy eyed over her use of color, while using the same patterns over and over. She is actually one of my inspirations for SWAP this year.

It just hit me that there is no restriction on pattern selection, or even type of garment, in this year's SWAP rules. At least 2 outfits are required, so there is that small fact, but other than that we have Freedom!

It has also just occurred to me that I have a lot of yardage in some of my fabrics, perhaps enough for 2 garments. That would definitely make my choices easier!
I have the day off, so I'll tick off some of the items on my November list, but also need to make some headway on a promised Fleece jacket for DH.
Wendy

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #332 on: November 10, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »
It just hit me that there is no restriction on pattern selection, or even type of garment, in this year's SWAP rules. At least 2 outfits are required, so there is that small fact, but other than that we have Freedom!

Interesting interpretation.   ;D ;D ;D
The rules are:
Create multiple outfits of at least two garments that work for your personal style
Each garment must work with a minimum of two outfits

If you can manage only two outfits with 11 garments I'll be impressed.

Regarding Sonya Phillip ... she pulls off the multi print look with just the right prints and color combos.  I doubt I have her knack for it and  would end up looking clownish.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #333 on: November 10, 2017, 04:15:55 PM »
LOL Mudcat I should read more closely. Or perhaps refrain from posting before I am fully awake!! I suppose multiple could equal 2? Although the dictionary would imply more than 2: consisting of, having, or involving several or many individuals, parts, elements, relations, etc.; manifold.

In any event, I agree it would be awfully hard to get only 2 outfits from 11 garments!!

And yes, I would also look a bit awkward in the mix of patterns Sonya Phillips puts together, she pulls it off beautifully.
Wendy

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #334 on: November 10, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »

I could certainly get away with using only 2 patterns, for a top and bottom.  I would have make 2 items from one of them to meet the rule for each garment combining into at least 2 outfits, but could make all the other garments from the other pattern.  Or try to find a co-ordinates pattern which has both the top and bottom !  Someone else might just need one dress and one 'jacket' pattern. 
It's fascinating this year how the plans vary from the ultra simple with a few very easy patterns to the challenging with each garment a different pattern involving special techniques.
Each according to our own wishes  ;D

P.S. and hurrah that there are enough individual threads already to spread onto 2 pages of index !
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:54:42 PM by Lisanne »
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #335 on: November 10, 2017, 05:26:50 PM »
Dagmar: I just saw your Muslin 2/Dagmar 0 comment. Funny! I've been there! :)

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #336 on: November 10, 2017, 05:33:18 PM »
Or try to find a co-ordinates pattern which has both the top and bottom !

I've been spending a lot of time pondering my coordinates or wardrobe patterns.  I love the idea of being able to make the majority of my collection using all the patterns in one envelope since they are designed to work well with one another.  I find matching up compatible necklines, hemlines, and sleeves from various patterns can be challenging at times.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #337 on: November 10, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »
Grasshopper, you make a great point.  Also, by looking at so many patterns as I am, you run the risk of missing small details that might not work such as the details of pleated sleeves possibly not working with the faux leather I am intending on using.  Luckily this was caught by Morzel and prompted me to rethink that pattern.  The wardrobe pattern packages can eliminate lots of guesswork and visualization efforts. 
Dagmar

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #338 on: November 10, 2017, 06:38:48 PM »
A gentle reminder ... all comments should be in the main chatter thread and not the individual SWAP threads.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: November 10, 2017, 09:14:12 PM »
A gentle reminder ... all comments should be in the main chatter thread and not the individual SWAP threads.

And a follow up note...when we see a comment on an individual thread which is not from the person who started the thread, we will generally move it to the main chatter thread. 

The subject line of the reply we've moved will stay the same, so you'll be able to tell who the comment is addressing.  And it will be in time order in the chatter thread (that is where it would have been if it had been posted in the chatter thread to begin with).

I see some wonderful SWAPs in progress!  Thank you all for sharing your process with us. :)

Lisa

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
Re: warpjr1965 Creative Rule-following SWAP (comments in Discussion Thread)
« Reply #340 on: November 10, 2017, 09:38:23 PM »
November Timeline

Muslin Orla dress: Done. Bergh. I want to like this dress, but it does not like me! I should have known: gathers never flatter me, and the skirt is basically a rectangle. I am not a rectangle! No pics, I didn't even put the zip in. Not worth the effort.

That's OK. On to the ponte. I am actually wavering between leggings and another pair of Style arc Elles. I want the leggings, but think I'll actually get more wear from the Elles. I also don't want to waste fabric on a pattern I haven't tried before. I know the Elles will fit. However, I'll really have to plan out fabric/pattern combos for the remainder, so I can be sure to have more than 2 outfits!

I hear you! Gathers look horribly wrong on ME. Pleats are ok if only its 1-2 pleats strategically placed (equidistant from CF and definitely not on the sides). Maybe you can save your orla by changing the gathers to box pleats?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:40:04 PM by KayoticSewing »

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #341 on: November 10, 2017, 10:20:20 PM »
I'm enjoying following everyone's evolving plans! :)

Ruthie, I'm so glad you were able to save those trousers using a smaller SA! :)

Elephun, it's great the Loes Hins tee works for you! It sounds like you just about have enough patterns for your SWAP.

Wendy, too bad about the Orla. Good luck with your fabric planning! Hopefully you'll manage to get more than 1 garment out of some of your fabrics.

My plan has continued to evolve, too... I think each post I've written in my thread thus far is novel-length. ;) But that's OK, I think it actually helped me sort out my thinking. Yesterday I got my happy new fabric from Marcy Tilton and I just love it! I'm soooo excited about it. Although I bought it for a skirt, it tells me it wants to be a dress. So now I have a new plan. My final plan for now... although I reserve the right to change my mind again once I get sewing! Next I need a storyboard, I find those helpful. And then I must work on my winter 6-PAC. It snowed today! :o

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #342 on: November 10, 2017, 10:26:22 PM »
Although I bought it for a skirt, it tells me it wants to be a dress. So now I have a new plan.
Good old 'talking' fabric, always trouble, but often a wonderful new outcome.

My test trousers still need a new longer waistband, a zipper and hemming, but at least they go round me now.
Once complete I'll wear them for a bit and see if I love the pattern enough to make more pairs of trousers from it or not.
After I'd traced the pattern, I found a similar but slightly different one in the same size traced from a different Burda magazine last year but never sewn up, maybe I'll compare them and try them next, and then pick the one I prefer for SWAP next year.

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #343 on: November 11, 2017, 01:55:14 AM »
I think each post I've written in my thread thus far is novel-length. ;) But that's OK, I think it actually helped me sort out my thinking. 

Mine are not that long, but writing it down does definitely help my thinking.  Also when I something like order fabric for a dress that is almost a neutral, then realise that I've got one planned in my SWAP that it would be almost identical to.....   ::)  ::)  ::)

Yesterday I got my happy new fabric from Marcy Tilton and I just love it! I'm soooo excited about it. Although I bought it for a skirt, it tells me it wants to be a dress.

My fabric talks to me too, I've learned not to fight it.  ;)
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #344 on: November 11, 2017, 04:02:11 AM »
I think each post I've written ... is novel-length....
...My fabric talks to me too, ?.... ;)
I do the same on my blog posts.  Writing records the project for my future reference and helps me think through the current project.   And yes fabric talks to me too, if it doesn't, I don't buy.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #345 on: November 11, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »
Ruthie, that is a great article that you posted on the rules thread.  It really helps stimulate wardrobe planning to see colour combinations paired with clothing items.  It is interesting to me that this is a year when we are seeing multiple shades of deep red (burgundy. dark plum etc) and a full range of very dark greens from deep teal to forest green.  There really is a shade for everyone.
Dagmar

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #346 on: November 11, 2017, 08:15:05 PM »
Agree with Dagmar: Great article about coloured neutrals, Ruthie (and conveniently plum and green are my accent colours...or neutrals...hmmm..)

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #347 on: November 11, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »
Stephanie in her personal thread says :
Way more fun that one should be having, no?

I don’t think anything to do with sewing should be counted as too much fun.
How lucky we are that we have something to do which we find fun - and the more of it we do the better.
SWAP is so active because many of us love the planning stage so much, dreaming about fabrics and clothing and combinations of them, and celebrating all the skills involved. 
Hurrah !

;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #348 on: November 11, 2017, 10:58:03 PM »
It is so great to see all the progress being made.  I have been a little slow in the last few days due to missing materials as hinted at in my thread and I will now have a 2 week hiatus while I am away, but I am looking forward to reading about everyone's progress while I am gone.  I had no idea the planning period would be so intense and I am amazed at how everyone, not just me, has plans and then re-arranges them as kinks are revealed.  It is truly very reassuring not to be the only one that does this  ;D
Dagmar

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #349 on: November 11, 2017, 11:57:13 PM »
Stephanie in her personal thread says :
Way more fun that one should be having, no?

I don’t think anything to do with sewing should be counted as too much fun.
How lucky we are that we have something to do which we find fun - and the more of it we do the better.
SWAP is so active because many of us love the planning stage so much, dreaming about fabrics and clothing and combinations of them, and celebrating all the skills involved. 
Hurrah !

;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

Well said!

Dagmar: Have a lovely trip. I imagine that I will start changing my plan around and reconsidering choices once I start sewing.