Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69634 times)

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #280 on: November 07, 2017, 08:59:27 AM »
I've just spent four hours sorting out my basic SWAP, accessories haven't come into the picture!!!
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #281 on: November 07, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »
what sort of things are people planning for the optional accessory?

Actually... I never thought of an optional accessory, but since mudcat mentioned it...
A while ago, I started to think about 'the whole': not only the outfit, but what to wear to complete it (jacket, bag, shoes). Well, that's why I bought a dark blue winterjacket last year, why I sewed a dark blue softshell jacket for this fall, and since about 1,5 year ago I am looking for a handbag just like the one I keep reaching for every day. I do have other bags in the closet, but they are just not what I want for every day. Now my everyday bag ist a small, cross-body bag. I want one like that in dark blue! Last year I found one the right colour and purchased it - but it was no real leather, and I realized I really like that used-look leather gets. So now I started thinking about sewing the bag. I will debate about this with my sewing group tomorrow...

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:17:19 PM by Morzel »
Eva

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #282 on: November 07, 2017, 10:50:53 AM »
what sort of things are people planning for the optional accessory?

No problem - my clothes are all limited in colour range, and my me-made jewellery is in the same range.    The rules do say the accessory has to be me-made  ;D   As the accessory is optional anyway, I assume it can have been made long before any thoughts of SWAP. . .
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #283 on: November 07, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »
Junebug, so excited that we both are having similar color schemes .. red blue white ... except mine  might have less of navy and more  of cobalt blue/royal blue (never could tell the difference).

I love reading up the swapchatter board and the individual swap threads. So far I’ve pulled out all fabrics that ‘might’go into my SWAP.

My sewing area is coming up nicely - I’ve moved it across two different rooms in the past few months and none of those worked (multipurpose rooms with more traffic and sewing stuff was spread across multiple rooms due to lack of space) and finally I’ve settled in the master bedroom where I’ve taken a corner. I have some vacation time scheduled for next week so I want to complete this setting up part before that and use my time off to trace, sew muslins etc ..
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:06:38 AM by KayoticSewing »

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #284 on: November 07, 2017, 01:24:21 PM »
I'm finally moved so now I can enjoy SWAP chatter! Medea  - just looked at your sketches. Super - brings the collection to life.

I was at an artisans' fair this past spring and saw a woman wearing what looked like a vintage embroidered belt. She was busy so I didn't have an opportunity to speak to her. I've been wanting to make an obi belt or a sash of some kind with embroidery on it for a while, so if I can find the time I think I want to try to do that for the optional accessory. I'm trying not to set myself up for SWAP failure by planning to do too much, but if I organize well in advance...

I have located my sewing machine and cleaned off the desk, but there is still a fair bit of unpacking to do and getting rid of boxes in the sewing room before I'll actually be operational. Oh well, I'll have to sew in the living room for now!

Offline Tory L

« Reply #285 on: November 07, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »
I just posted my SWAP plan, but I don't think it ended up where I intended. Moderators, I'm terribly sorry and hope you can shift it over to where it belongs.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
« Reply #286 on: November 07, 2017, 01:32:55 PM »
You did just fine, Tory L. It's in the SWAP 2018 forum along with the other SWAPers' topics.

Have fun with your swap!

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #287 on: November 07, 2017, 02:05:11 PM »
Ladies, thank you for your good wishes, my husband recovered well from his lung cancer op & chemo but is now going through chemo for Leukaemia which is giving him worse side effects than the last one.  When he has good days he's bored & hard work, bad days I worry if he's going to end up back in ED - only twice so far!  I go to work for a rest.
Back to SWAP & I may well end up with a 6 pac instead but I love the planning.  I am sorely tempted to follow the amazing "O" wardrobe that Ruth of corecouture.wordpress.com, simple & so effective.  I just need to check the stash & maybe treat myself to more fabric  ;D 
I certainly have plenty of suitable patterns.

My thoughts are with you at this time. DH has chemo for leukemia 2 years ago and it was extremely hard on him. We were in ER three times with infections, the last time being pneumonia. He ended up having to get IV immune boosters monthly for a year. He is doing remarkably well now and I hope to hear that you DH will be doing as well when the treatment is over with.

I am admiring all of your SWAPS. I won't be taking part as all of our belongings will be packed into the moving van tomorrow. If I was going to do a SWAP, this would be my inspiration board.

Ann
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #288 on: November 07, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »
... I think I’ll start with a Winter 6PAC to fill this gap and just keep plugging away at planning the SWAP stuff.
As I recall, the original SWAP came about under similar circumstances.  Guys correct me if needed, but I think the originator of SWAP was Australian who found herself need to go to work instead of working at home. She, similar to you, did not have enough of the type clothing she felt necessary. Wasn’t her first SWAP about half of what we make for the current contest?
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline JuneBug

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #289 on: November 07, 2017, 05:04:55 PM »
Kayotic:  Great poppy art.  That's very similar to what I imagine on my accessory tote.  As I recall, I have only a single piece of cobalt in the stash, hence the navy blue.  We'll have to virtually merge our end results and see if they end up making a Mega SWAP!

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #290 on: November 07, 2017, 06:05:39 PM »
Some really great inspiration on the individual boards!  I love Kay of Kayotic Sewings' blue, red and white plan.  The art alone  is so cheerful.  Grasshopper, I love the new colour scheme too.  Sometimes the reality of the existing stash seems to propel us into another direction….  Melinda_B, what a great selection of patterns you have chosen.  It really eases my worries about too many patterns.  BTW, I wonder if you could share how you made that nifty chart?  It is such a great way to compress a large amount of information for readers.  Stephanie, I can't believe you are nearly settled - that seemed to go really quickly although I'm sure you have the sore muscles that attest to the effort of your move!
Today, I am completing the muslin for the top and possible jacket (with a pattern hack).
Dagmar

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #291 on: November 07, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »
Grasshopper, I love the new colour scheme too.  Sometimes the reality of the existing stash seems to propel us into another direction….
Dagmar, thank you!  Yes, there were several different directions I could have gone with what I had, but I feel like I picked the scheme that will have the most success for completion.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Offline Bookish

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #292 on: November 07, 2017, 09:15:04 PM »
 Long-time SWAP admirer here...

I'm really enjoying this year's Designer Plans... and especially the inspiration art/photos you're posting.  Beautiful, beautiful... from NASA to Rothko and all points in between  :D.

You all are most inspiring!

Connie

Offline Scottiesews

« Reply #293 on: November 07, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »

My thoughts are with you at this time. DH has chemo for leukemia 2 years ago and it was extremely hard on him. We were in ER three times with infections, the last time being pneumonia. He ended up having to get IV immune boosters monthly for a year. He is doing remarkably well now and I hope to hear that you DH will be doing as well when the treatment is over with.
]Ann
[/quote]
Thank you Ann, the hardest part is living through the ups & downs of the chemo.  We look forward to next year & normality! 
I love that inspiration compilation pic.  That's food for thought & new plans

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »
Melinda_B, what a great selection of patterns you have chosen.  It really eases my worries about too many patterns.  BTW, I wonder if you could share how you made that nifty chart?  It is such a great way to compress a large amount of information for readers. 

I did plan to repeat more patterns, however that's just how it worked out.   And most of them I've made previously.

The chart started as a table in Microsoft Word, with three rows for each garment - top row has the colour, middle row has the picture, third row has the information.  Three columns going across.  Once it was completed I made the table/row/column borders invisible, and added a border around each garment's three rows, so it was one 'block'.  You could then save it as a screenshot graphic, however I saved it as a pdf and then exported it as an image.  I have a fairly high level paid subscription to adobe, you can't do that with a basic pdf reader.  I plan to update it with pictures of actual garments as I make them.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline caro488

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #295 on: November 07, 2017, 11:41:16 PM »
Hello ladies, friends
I am a lurker
I read several of your blogs all the time, so I am in a bit of a fangirl frenzy.....
I have never sewn a SWAP, though I have read and studied, and voted, and investigated the plans and the results.
I tend to chain sew: make a garment; make something to go with it; make something to go with THAT; etc.
I have just purchased three lovely pieces in pants-weight - a gorgeous charcoal wool, a dark chocolate ponte, and a burgundy tweed.
So this could be the start of something good.
perhaps I could use charcoal gray and dark chocolate as my neutrals and burgundy as accent?
Depends on what other fabrics I can find.
Two patterns fit me well - pull-on pants and a tee, and a third fits almost well enough - a button-up princes seam shirt. These could be the basis for my SWAP
Chances are that I won't complete an entire SWAP, but these will get me started...
Thanks for your inspiration. I love seeing how your plans develop, and how your ideas morph and blossom.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #296 on: November 08, 2017, 12:57:08 AM »
Lovely inspiration board, Ann!

Thanks for sharing your process, Melinda_B.

Hi Dagmar: Yes, I'm almost settled and yes it was three or four days of hard labour. That said, the sewing room is still not workable. That is going to require the weekend. Oh well! Hope your toiling went well.

Hi Caro488: Fun! I think it's great to start a SWAP, even if you might not finish. I love your colours, but then again I am biased as they are the same as some of mine! Welcome and have fun. :)

Tory, I loved your line about your budget! Great way to organize a SWAP!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 01:02:21 AM by stephaniecan »

Offline JuneBug

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #297 on: November 08, 2017, 01:08:35 AM »
Off Topic: Melinda B,  I truly miss the adobe professional I had at my last job at a law office.  It was fabulous!  DH's company bought it after he started sending in annotated work site photos using our standard version at home.  One supervisor would actually print an excel file to pdf so he could use the "rejected" stamp on things he wasn't approving.   ::) 

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #298 on: November 08, 2017, 03:15:56 AM »
I am a lurker...Chances are that I won't complete an entire SWAP, but these will get me started...
Thanks for your inspiration....
Welcome to SG; ....... or decloaking on SG!

I think SWAP is the number 1 reason people come to SG.   Do not worry about whether you can or cannot complete the entire challenge.  You will find  that even the exercise of planning a wardobe is personally enriching.   We look forward to wharever you can  share.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #299 on: November 08, 2017, 04:43:29 AM »
Thanks dogmaro and Junebug! These colors just make me happy. Let’s see how sewing them makes me feel. ;D

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #300 on: November 08, 2017, 07:46:57 AM »
Welcome caro488, hope you enjoy sewing along with us all, its great fun, don't stress yourself out and remember you win a wardrobe of custom made clothing!

I am not keeping up with the threads very well, sorry, however its great to see so many ideas. It makes me laugh that one person's idea of neutrals is red and cobalt and another balck and grey. Its great how we've all taken the Designer challenge and run with it.

Cathy was wondering if several grey fabrics she has could all count as grey and if their shades are close enough. Mudcat empowered each of us to make our own decisions here so I say if you think they work toegther as the same colour then they do. Doe they read as part of the same designers collection when you put all the fabrics together? In which case go for it.
(The designers can have as much of a fabric as they like and are not limited by how much they bought and put in the cupboard, so they may well just be using the exact same fabric for many garments because its easy, but doesn't mean you have to).
Grey like navy and brown and can have an undertone of another colour, and it looks bad imho if they are wildly different - so a greenish grey and a purplish grey will not sit well toegther, but a dark greenish grey and a light greenish grey would be fine.

I've got brown in my collection and quite a few got rejected for being the wrong brown. I had a lot to choose from though!

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #301 on: November 08, 2017, 08:38:49 AM »
Cathy was wondering if several grey fabrics she has could all count as grey and if their shades are close enough. Mudcat empowered each of us to make our own decisions here so I say if you think they work toegther as the same colour then they do.

Just as it says in the rules:

** Regarding neutrals: Using 2-3 different fabrics in the same neutral color is fine however they do need to be roughly the same shade and work together.

You decide, what 'roughly the same shade' is. It is YOUR set of neutrals, you have to wear them.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:06:01 AM by Morzel »
Eva

Offline Medea

• You'll find my Wardrobe Diary at
« Reply #302 on: November 08, 2017, 11:09:48 AM »

My budget - unlimited, as long as I shop at Tory's Fabric Closet.
I love your "unlimited budget" Tory!

Lovely colors in your new inspiration picture Grasshopper!

I hope to get time to cut out the muslin for my dress today and I also hope that it will be a wearable one.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:26:40 PM by Medea »
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #303 on: November 08, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
Thank you, Medea!

I also loved your budget comment, Tory!

random musings while I "coffee up" before I get on with the day and "the project"...
bessiecrocker, I loved your thoughts as you worked your way through the trends and guidelines!  It was a great laugh as I had my coffee this morning, too!
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #304 on: November 08, 2017, 03:21:46 PM »
Elephun, wow! you are amazing to crank out a lot of muslins at record speed.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #305 on: November 08, 2017, 03:31:53 PM »

random musings while I "coffee up" before I get on with the day and "the project"...
bessiecrocker, I loved your thoughts as you worked your way through the trends and guidelines!  It was a great laugh as I had my coffee this morning, too!

Me too!  Thanks bessiecrocker, you had me in stitches and reminded me not to get too hung up on trying to decide what to sew  :)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #306 on: November 08, 2017, 03:58:19 PM »
Bessie crocker, I read the trends and thought nope nothing for me here.
So yes I considered. And I'm not doing any of them!

Morzel your photo does not show for us. Something about license for 3rd party apps.

I have some weird eye problems and have to have new specs. They have been chosen to give the best vision not necessarily with fashion in mind. They are green. I might want to add more green to make it look like this was on purpose !

This is so much fun, thanks everyone for all your enthusiasm.

Online crazyquilter

« Reply #307 on: November 08, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »
I too enjoyed your musings this morning bessiecrocker.  I agree about denim for summer.  I go with less denim and more linen too, maybe some nice indigo colored linen?    As for tassels, how about a tassel necklace?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/70157706674616397/?lp=true

That could be an accessory to make, on trend and not overly much.

I loved this quote

Consider including one trend item based on your chosen season -- only one. so I use a Hawaiian print with some lavender in it and add a tassel somehow, on the denim sequined fanny pack maybe? Sorted!

Angie of YouLookFab keeps saying that maximalism is a new trend.  I'd say you hit it with that quote.

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #308 on: November 08, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
You’re giving me ideas for replacing my jewellery accessory with a tote.
I have a pattern which is decorated with rows of tasselled fringe with 2 sizes of bigger tassels added.
As I’m a near minimalist I just laughed and moved on.
But perhaps I could make it from a patchwork of florals, plaids and polka dots, and add some sequins and glue on crystals.  . .

P.S. Creative Bug has a couple of classes on tassel necklaces :
https://www.creativebug.com/classseries/single/tassel-necklace
https://www.creativebug.com/classseries/single/make-a-beaded-leather-tassel-necklace
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:18:07 PM by Lisanne »
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #309 on: November 08, 2017, 06:48:29 PM »
Elephun, wow! you are amazing to crank out a lot of muslins at record speed.

I used to get extremely painful shoulders and very tired cutting patterns and fabric, and I'd have to take long breaks between each step in the muslin (and regular sewing) process. Sometimes I'd have to wait days between each step.

Someone on PR recently posted this link: Using Tailors Shears and it opened a whole new world for me. I had previously always put my forefinger in the bottom loop of the scissor. After reading the blog post, I began putting my forefinger in the trigger position, and pulling my thumb more fully into the top loop. I am now so much more comfortable when cutting patterns and fabric!

Most people probably already cut this way, but if you don't, it might be worth checking out.

Here's an image showing the trigger finger:

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #310 on: November 08, 2017, 07:53:20 PM »
That article is really interesting Elephun thank you.  :)

My hands are really sore after lots of decorating so I will try and learn to use my shears in a better way using the advice in that article.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #311 on: November 08, 2017, 09:51:56 PM »
I'm also doing a poor job keeping up with the threads but I am definitely enjoying them! :)

Elephun, I too am amazed by the speed at which you are making muslins! Impressive! I really admire your perseverance. :) I hope you find that TNT top soon. And thanks so much for the tip about holding the scissors. I will have to try that tonight! I have a feeling I've been holding my shears incorrectly. Like you, I've always had to rest in between steps.

Ruthie asked what accessory we all are planning... I'm another who doesn't know yet. I had planned a couple of scarves for last year's SWAP but this year I'm planning for spring/summer and I don't often wear scarves when it gets warmer. I've made necklaces in the past, so maybe that's what I'll do? I don't think I'll do a bag, but I could use a nice big tote...

Bessiecrocker, I also enjoyed your post about the spring fashion trends. ;D I went through a similar process (with a similar result). I really like the photo of the fabrics you just posted. Your colors are beautiful!

JuneBug, I think it is so cool that your husband is excited about you doing SWAP! That is just awesome. Your plan is great, too. I like how you are allotting your colors.

Dawn, thanks for the link to tassel necklaces. I'm not sure I'd wear this style but it could be fun to play with and you never know.

I'll have to do some more catching up with everyone else. Meanwhile, I am so excited because I got an email today saying my fabric has shipped! I had planned to only use stash, but to be fair I had wanted to buy this fabric in the summer but could not thanks to unexpected car and pet bills. I can't wait to get it because I just love it! (I'm sure you ladies can understand.)

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #312 on: November 08, 2017, 10:12:57 PM »
I am happy to share it, Turquoise and M lambie! I had previously been searching ergonomics and scissors and cutting and shoulder pain on the web to no avail, so I was absolutely thrilled when I found this. I made this transition quickly.
Next, I have to re-learn how to write with a pen/pencil. I don't hold the pen/pencil properly in my hand and writing hurts my hand and especially hurts my shoulder. Changing this habit is proving much more of a challenge than changing my way of cutting. I've found one article on the web that's helpful: handwriting tips. It talks about which muscle groups to use when writing.

I had really been trying to sew from my own supply for SWAP. I've been going through my knits looking for fabric to sew tees from for SWAP. While I have some nice knits, I found I still have a bunch that are difficult to sew, or not nice to wear. I've moved these into my stash of fabric for muslins now.

I'm off to the fabric store to see if I can find any good knits; I'm picky. I tried to go to the fabric store yesterday, but they are closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Who knew? Maybe I did know at one time.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #313 on: November 09, 2017, 02:18:28 AM »
I love all the planning going on, and the variety of neutrals and prints!  This is going to be fun.
Like so many others, I have a hard time keeping up with all the comments and individual threads, but I'll make some attempts here.

JuneBug: I love that your DH is all excited for SWAP.  Mine is usually encouraging as well, although he can not remember the specifics and calls it the "11 outfits in 11 days" contest.

Tory: your Seaside SWAP sounds dreamy, makes me think of days on the Jersey shore.

Elephun: I am impressed that you have gotten some muslins done, even if you've had to rule out some of the patterns as possibilities.

cathyd: I am having the same issues as you, trying to sew from stash but adhere to the color rules. I may have enough yardage from a few fabrics for more than one garment, maybe that is a possibility for you too?

I am just biding my time right now. I don't think I'll get any sewing started until the weekend, and like Melinda I have other sewing to finish prior to SWAP.
Wendy

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #314 on: November 09, 2017, 02:45:21 AM »
You decide, what 'roughly the same shade' is. It is YOUR set of neutrals, you have to wear them.

Exactly.  You're the designer.  ;D