Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69631 times)

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »
from Medea
Ruthie: I really like the thought of writing down each step in a timeframe. I'll do the same
Ruthie, and Medea - this is genius! I will follow in your footsteps, this way I can fit my sewing into my schedule in a more timely way...

Yes, me too! I am impressed that not only it is time bound but also deals with single color of thread for each of those time chunks.

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #211 on: November 03, 2017, 04:00:22 PM »
Back in the day, on the old Timmel Fabrics SWAP, a print (or plaid or otherwise multi-colored pattern) was a requirement.  I found it much easier to coordinate the swap if I began with the print...and then chose the neutrals from that.

I find this to be true, too!  Last night, I had a change of mind/heart and decided to sew from my stash instead of seeking new fabrics.  My first step was to look at the different prints and determine if I had enough fabric in coordinating neutrals to make the plan work with one or two of them.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Offline JuneBug

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #212 on: November 03, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »
There are some great plans, ideas, thoughts, fabrics, and inspirational photos already up!

I had an individualized post ready, but lost it somehow; so I will generalize.

I love the idea of finding photos to show color possibilities.  I personally believe that any color combination that occurs in nature can be used in clothing. That doesn't mean that I personally would wear them all. (I look terrible in warm tones, as well as black.)  Depending on your own personal style, inspiration includes the high contrast minimalism of ice and penguins of Antarctica, the muted yet beautiful tones of the desert, colorful forest foliage which varies by season, the sea (the greens/blues/greys/whites above the surface and the fantastic colors below) and not least the birds of the tropical zones that probably have some of the most amazing color combinations on earth.

Some of the other things I like are using a timeline, using a print as the jumping off point for choosing neutrals, and sewing to fit personal life rather than to complete the contest.

I will be another sewing from stash.  However, I won't be making any hard and fast decisions until I actually know what's in there (a lot).

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #213 on: November 03, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »
from Medea
Ruthie: I really like the thought of writing down each step in a timeframe. I'll do the same
Ruthie, and Medea - this is genius! I will follow in your footsteps, this way I can fit my sewing into my schedule in a more timely way...

Yes, me too! I am impressed that not only it is time bound but also deals with single color of thread for each of those time chunks.

Its not everyone's preferred approach, but even though its only saving a few minutes, having all the machines threaded up in one colour (I like to be matchy) gives me the sense that the project will be quicker to do as I won't be changing the thread.
As you probably know I like to sew knits a lot and I have sewing machine, serger and coverhem machine all set up in approximately the same colour. I often buy multiples of the Moon thread in a suitable colour, then if I sew 3,4, 5 etc garments in the same colour thread the investment in that colourway feels worthwhile. I have favourite colours I sew a lot so it works well for me, but I do have 4 desk drawers filled only with thread which many would think excessive.

I've been sewing multiple items in burgundy at the moment, and augmented my thread by buying some extra for the coverhem which has worked out really well.

I recently made another top and will add a cardigan, and then I am going to switch threads, though to what I am not sure yet.

Offline RedDawn

« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2017, 07:33:49 PM »
Been reading everyone's SWAP posts. Love the inspiration photos and the fabric planning pics.  I think planning is sometimes my favorite part of sewing. Can't wait to see how everyone gets along with their projects. :)
~~ The fabric made me do it ~~

Offline Lyn-J

• O/T Politics
« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2017, 11:43:55 PM »
I've been admiring the inspiration pictures and thought I would like to do one for my Blue and Black SWAP.
Then I remembered I had one.
< < <  ;D
So, The Pleiades SWAP it is.

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #216 on: November 04, 2017, 12:12:51 AM »
I’m a bit color challenged and I too find coordination by starting with print to be the easiest.  I see color just dont understand how to use it. 

I think folks speaking up are trying to use their stash.  Just curious, are you  not finding prints in your stash? 

Prints I have by the score.  Neutrals and solids are a bit thin on the ground!  And to be honest, my stash is shoved into boxes at present, so I really don't know what I have.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #217 on: November 04, 2017, 01:42:04 AM »
from sdBev:
I think folks speaking up are trying to use their stash.  Just curious, are you not finding prints in your stash?
Bev - I went back to look at my stash of fabrics, and on all the shelves I have only a few fabrics that I would call "prints", like maybe six or seven out of everything I have ....the bulk of my fabric collection is solids of various textures or "subtle solids".....
I’ve been following you for several years and yes this sounds just like you and would be what I would expect to see if ever I visted your home.  It just ‘fits’ with what I’ve learned about you.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #218 on: November 04, 2017, 02:50:25 AM »
Grasshopper, is that stairway a real place? I love it.
Let's talk about math

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #219 on: November 04, 2017, 05:12:20 AM »
Just confirming, we can do all the prep work, just can't start sewing, before 26 Dec?

If I was planning to include an Alabama Chanin garment, does that mean I could do the stenciling and basting before 26 Dec, just no actual stitching?
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #220 on: November 04, 2017, 05:34:53 AM »
Muslins, pattern fitting, cutting, interfacing, and other preparatory work may begin right away.
(added emphasis mine)

Melinda  - You are correct... the actual SWAP sewing mostly begins on Boxing Day (December 26th). We can sew one garment between now and then, and can do a lot to get ready for the "start your sewing machines" day ahead of time. I like to cut out my pattern pieces and collect everything I need for each garment in a kind of Personal Sewing Kit for each one, which helps me stay organised.

I have been interpreting "other preparatory work" to include the Alabama Chanin style surface design work (stenciling, hand stitching and cutting away of the decorative layers) on the pattern pieces... IMHO it would be part and parcel of preparing my "sewing kits" of ready to sew pattern pieces, so I will be as ready as possible on Dec 26 to start on some of the actual SWAP garment sewing.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 05:46:37 AM by indigotiger »
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #221 on: November 04, 2017, 05:43:49 AM »
Muslins, pattern fitting, cutting, interfacing, and other preparatory work may begin right away.
(added emphasis mine)

Melinda  - I have been interpreting "other preparatory work" to include the Alabama Chanin style surface design work (stenciling, hand stitching and cutting away of the decorative layers) on the pattern pieces... IMHO it would be part and parcel of preparing my "sewing kits" of ready to sew pattern pieces, so I will be as ready as possible on Dec 26 to start on some of the actual SWAP garment sewing. 

Interesting take - I don't think that starting the handstitching/cutting away should begin until after the 26th, as IMO that's integral to sewing the garment.  Whereas I see the stencilling and basting as prep work - and it would work brilliantly for me as I'll be on the other side of the country over Christmas and need some hand work to take.  I just wasn't too sure where the line is between prep work and actual sewing.

To be perfectly honest, for me, sewing a garment starts with having a pattern and fabric, everything after that including cutting out, interfacing, etc, is all part of sewing the garment.  So I already feel like I'm way ahead to be allowed to have it cut and interfaced beforehand!
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #222 on: November 04, 2017, 05:47:37 AM »
If I was planning to include an Alabama Chanin garment, does that mean I could do the stenciling and basting before 26 Dec, just no actual stitching?

I know I asked this question in a previous SWAP (2014 maybe?) and at that time DL said yes, we can begin embellishing (including stitching & embroidery) as part of our prep work. (Not actual seaming etc. though.) I assume it would be the same this year since the basic SWAP outline has been kept the same. "Other preparatory work", as Indigotiger mentions!

Oops, Melinda posted before I could hit reply.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #223 on: November 04, 2017, 05:51:47 AM »
well YMMV... I see the decorative handwork as part of preparing the cut fabric pieces to be assembled... now if I was doing the handstitching of the seams... that would be something I would not begin before Dec 26th. Same thing if I decide to add block printing as a decorative surface design... I can do that prior to Dec 26th, as to me surface design is part of preparation, not part of assembly. But that is how *my* designer brain divides up the types of work, you are certainly just as correct in your interpretation.

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #224 on: November 04, 2017, 06:19:17 AM »
Well, that all confirms that there will be an AC piece in my SWAP then!  And I don't even need to wait until 26 Dec to start work, I can take it on the plane with me!
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2017, 06:22:16 AM »
if I was doing the handstitching of the seams... that would be something I would not begin before Dec 26th. 
I'm going to machine sew the seams, while I love the AC look, I'm not particularly enamoured of the hand sewn seam.  And I want to get it finished!

Note to self: use a large stencil without all the tiny details this time!
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #226 on: November 04, 2017, 06:57:14 AM »
I'm going to machine sew the seams, while I love the AC look, I'm not particularly enamoured of the hand sewn seam.  And I want to get it finished!
I've done both, but now what I mostly do is machine stitch the long seams using my serger, but finish the edges (neckline, cuffs, and hemline) by hand. I haven't decided on the finishing techniques or look I want for my cardigan yet, though. If I also do a knit top with some neckline embellishment, that should go comparatively quickly, the cardigan is going to be a long haul...

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #227 on: November 04, 2017, 08:36:29 AM »
I have my chosen trouser/pants pattern laid out on the table with the pieces highlighted ready for tracing (its Burda magazine). I'm going to do a test pair of trousers/pants and fully finish them, and wear them for a bit see how I like the fit.
That pair might get included or not depending on how they compare to a little burgundy cardigan I just sewed up, which is OK but maybe nothing exciting enough for SWAP.

I could cut lots of things out but I am a little nervous of doing that as I find the zip lock baggies years later. So I think I will meaure and allocate pattern to fabric, but perhaps not cut stuff out.
Though fusing the interfacing in advance for the waistband etc does sound good, then it would just be like having a kit to sew up!

Offline Petlover

• UK
Re: Lisanne’s Minimum Overwhelm SWAP (comments in discussion thread please)
« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2017, 08:43:08 AM »
Never heard of 100 Acts of Sewing until now. I love them! Very, very simple but can be modified and made quite quickly with many different fabrics. Wonderful!

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2017, 08:55:54 AM »
Preparatory work - which I can think about even if I haven’t got time for.

Even elastic-waist pants look better if they fit properly.  So yet another attempt - sigh - aargh. . .

And the simplest garment can be an object of wonder with some added embellishment, as Indygotiger frequently shows us.  I’m currently learning some heirloom sewing, a good way of adding a touch of ‘pretty’ without going for full scope ’romantic’.

Also I’m thinking about machine embroidery.  My current embroidery machine has such a clunky and out-dated method of getting designs from computer to machine it hasn’t been out of its box since I moved.  But I have recently realised that modern machines can do all the design altering direct on the machine, and you only need software for doing your own digitising, which I never got into.  So that’s another thing to dream about  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline Scottiesews

« Reply #230 on: November 04, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »
I wasn't going to be tempted this year, after all last years SWAP got made but not photographed & this year I have worse time constraints & a sicker hubby, although he "should" improve by Feb/March.  Even worse is lack of funds & lack of co-ordinating stash due to himself being on long term sick -but- it has occurred to me to ask for fabric as presents for Xmas & birthday so all is not lost!
Now I shall start dreaming & planning.
Last years SWAP BTW was & still is being worn apart from two pairs of pants that shrunk badly, & that was my fault.   :(

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »
Scottiesews: I am sorry to hear hubby is still feeling poorly, hoping he improves as expected.

Ruthie, I am with you on the prepping. On the surface it is a great idea, but I would also find bags of UFOs in the closet. I could perhaps prep a few items at a time, but not the whole SWAP.

I am really having a hard time with the colors, as I have a pretty specific direction I wanted to take my sewing this year. I was looking to add MORE color and variety. This SWAP won't quite fit that plan, unless I add some basics. I actually do need more of those, as this past week I was scrambling to find clean tops that fit for work. It would mean purchasing fabric, which I am loathe to do just yet.

I'll start with the fabrics in stash for a few of my items, and then reassess which items should be next.
Wendy

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
I just posted in my thread wondering a similar question.  I am also torn with wanting a very colourful SWAP set to expand my closet potential but also, one I would enjoy wearing…which means working with a variety of fabric textures and pattern designs within the colour guidelines.  I worry that this places me outside of the intention of SWAP which seems to be encouraging us to stick to fewer pattern designs and fabrics.   
Dagmar

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #233 on: November 04, 2017, 03:19:37 PM »
Dagmaro I am going to reply to some of your musings here. About where to post: I would say if you have a specific question the chatter thread may be the best place to post, although if it is busy sometimes the posts get buried!

Anyway: I have not sewn any of the patterns you are considering. Last year I finished SWAP despite moving in December, thus sewing machine and stash were essentially unavailable until February!  I finished as I had a simple plan, and reused patterns. I tried 2 new-to-me patterns (i think?), the rest I had sewn before.

Elle pants from StyleArc (pull-on stretch pant)
Jalie t shirt x 2
Deer and Doe Plantain x 2
Dress from Jalie and Plantain mashup x 1
Cardigan (M6996) x 2
Jalie eleanore pull on jeans x 1 (pre-sewn)
I did spend a lot of time fussing with a wadder, that took up most of january.

I am missing something, but the essence is simplicity. I have only sewn 10 buttonholes in my whole life and i just did those last week! I don't wear much that requires zips, and prefer knits to wovens for comfort.

In the end, you have to know yourself. What you will wear, what your skills are, how well you work under a deadline, how fast you can sew given the other life events that will crop up. The simplicity of the SWAP is not dictated by the rules, but rather a suggestion to allow you to finish with fewer headaches!
Wendy

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #234 on: November 04, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
Dagmar, I agree that you are more likely to get replies to specific questions if you post here in the chatter thread. I have some advice for you, too. :) Please don't worry if your SWAP plan doesn't fit "the intention of SWAP which seems to be encouraging us to stick to fewer pattern designs and fabrics." As mudcat reminds us, YOU are the designer! Your plan should reflect YOUR vision! As long as it works within the guidelines, I say go for it. True, as Wendy notes, it is much harder to complete a SWAP with 11 different patterns, especially if they are complex. But only you know if you have the time management ability and skill to pull it off before the deadline. One of the things that is fun about SWAP is seeing how different everyone's collections can be even though they are all based on the same set of rules.

And before it gets buried even further, I should remember to thank you, Dagmar, and bessiecrocker for your input on my fabrics and which read as neutrals or not. I appreciate the input! :)

I'm also happy to say that I'm picking up a lot of helpful hints from everyone's individual threads. ;D

Ruthie - setting a schedule, and sewing garments as a group based on thread color

bessiecrocker
- "sew first and post later" - love it! And also don't dither; make a decision and move forward.

Medea - sew garments in an order that gets you outfits as you go along. This is especially helpful to me, I think. And for everyone who doesn't want to get bogged down in a huge photo shoot at the end. I will re-think my schedule keeping this in mind.

There are many more comments I want to make about individual plans but I guess I'll have to come back later as I don't want to write a novel here. ;)

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #235 on: November 04, 2017, 07:26:32 PM »
Dagmaro - I agree with some of what has already been said... Like warpjr, if I have questions I post them here on the chatter section, and I use my individual SWAP thread as a sort of "mini-blog" to keep track of what I am up to re SWAP, since my actual blog is not just about sewing, so that way I can have all the SWAP sewing info in one place... well, and also make it easier for folks here to look at it should anyone want to...

I went back and re-read the rules... there is nothing listed there about using fewer fabrics, just a mention that it could be difficult to find multiple neutral fabrics that seem "similar", so I figure that you are free to choose and define how similar your neutrals are... I know that I myself am planning on using a different fabric for each one of my eleven garments.
Using 2-3 different fabrics in the same neutral color is fine however they do need to be roughly the same shade and work together.

Regarding how many patterns to use, and how complicated is suitable... The rules strongly suggest the use of a limited number of patterns
Limit the number of patterns used since Designer Collections include the same garments made in different colors/prints
for what I think are both design(er) and practical reasons. The "designer" reasons are that using a limited number of patterns is a straightforward way to give a coherent "look" to a collection, but not the only way... The practical reasons for limiting the number of patterns, is that unless one can use the patterns as is without a lot of fitting adjustments, it just plain takes extra time to muslin and fit and get the pattern to the point of making a garment that is wearable.

I know in my case that I have already spent hours on just one pattern and have several more iterations before I will be able to use it for actual clothing I will wear. making a judgement call on how many patterns to use, based on how much sewing time is likely over the next five months, is part of why some of us are making up timelines... those weeks/months just fly by so quickly! I do think that the patterns you have chosen so far really suit your ideal - though to me they mostly look pretty complicated.... if you feel that you have the skills and the time... go for it! You had mentioned that you will be traveling a lot, though, so maybe finding a few simpler garments to mix in, like a basic shell top, or a simple skirt, would allow your more eye catching garments to shine

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #236 on: November 04, 2017, 07:32:45 PM »
Oh yeah...Mary wrote:
Medea - sew garments in an order that gets you outfits as you go along. This is especially helpful to me, I think. And for everyone who doesn't want to get bogged down in a huge photo shoot at the end. I will re-think my schedule keeping this in mind.
I think I better do this too, as what kept me from actually entering the voting last year, despite finishing all eleven SWAP garments, was that by the end of April it was HOT, and I didn't want to put on the layers... (my SWAP sewing is mostly for the cooler weather, in the heat I just wear simple popover dresses) So with that in mind, my first two garments to sew will be the black corduroy pinafore and the brown knit top, so that whatever else gets sewn after that will have something to combine with! Which tells me that the first thing I need to work on this month is preparing the Alabama Chanin surface design for around the neckline of the knit top... Thank you Mary, for sharing medea's suggestion
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:35:44 PM by indigotiger »

Offline AnnetteWright

• My Sewing Blog
« Reply #237 on: November 04, 2017, 07:57:36 PM »
I always read the swaps with great interest, yet don't see myself completing one..but it's still in the back of my mind.

May I ask what the purpose is of the individual threads where they all say "no comments" in the thread?  I think I'd be the opposite and prefer comments directly in a thread.

Do people ever do it that way?

Offline Lisa Laree

• Subscribed Member
    • Sew Random
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2017, 08:07:02 PM »
It's to cut down on the work the moderators have to do; if all the comments are in this thread, they don't have to open so many windows to follow conversations.

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
Interesting thoughts, everyone. I interpret "start of sewing" as the point at which needle penetrates fabric, regardless of whether it's for surface design or for a construction seam.

For my SWAP, I'm thinking black (jeans, skirt, dress, cardigan), pale gray (cardigan and two tops), red (cardigan and top), and two prints (probably one skirt, one top). We'll see how that goes.

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #240 on: November 04, 2017, 09:09:39 PM »
Thank you Wendy, Mary and Indigotiger for weighing in on my concern of too much complication in my SWAP plans and in guiding me on where to post questions or requests for opinion. 

I will relook at my patterns to see if I can adapt some of them for several uses or if not, find others with which I can.  Unfortunately, none them are patterns I have experience with.  For my first go around with finding patterns, I looked within my pattern stash with the exception of the Named patterns which are new to me, but seem suited to my body type based on reviews.  Most of my sewing is focused on what I call occasion sewing which means cocktail and evening attire of all types.  With this SWAP, I am branching out into a daytime collection for the first time in ages and the patterns that I was familiar with in this category are no longer really in style.  Luckily, I am fairly easy to fit with forward shoulder, extra length for neck to waist/waist to hip/leg length and a somewhat flat bottom being my main alterations.

Medea, I love your idea of sewing garments in an order such that you can wear them!
Dagmar

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2017, 09:40:05 PM »
May I ask what the purpose is of the individual threads where they all say "no comments" in the thread?  I think I'd be the opposite and prefer comments directly in a thread.

As well as the comment by Lisa Laree - the individual threads make it possible to get an overview of what each person is doing and their thinking process.  And in years when comments in individual threads have been allowed it has caused much confusion, as often comments lead to wider discussions of issues and you never know what direction you should look in to find the main flow of the conversation.

Compare with contests at Pattern Review, where there's a clear distinction between the general discussion and the individual reviews of entries, because they have different formats.  Here at SG there aren't 2 different ways of writing comments, so we make this artificial distinction.
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2017, 09:51:27 PM »
I wasn't going to be tempted this year, after all last years SWAP got made but not photographed & this year I have worse time constraints & a sicker hubby, although he "should" improve by Feb/March.  Even worse is lack of funds & lack of co-ordinating stash due to himself being on long term sick -but- it has occurred to me to ask for fabric as presents for Xmas & birthday so all is not lost!
Now I shall start dreaming & planning.
Last years SWAP BTW was & still is being worn apart from two pairs of pants that shrunk badly, & that was my fault.   :(

Hope your husband feels better soon.

If you don’t have the time for a full SWAP, you can also do a smaller WInter or Spring 6 PAC based on the time available. Or you can make a 6 PAC or a  4 PAC to add to your existing wardrobe you created in the last year’s SWAP.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2017, 10:16:42 PM »
Dagmaro said on her personal thread
These are all good patterns but represent lots of work and I am not sure this is really the intention of this SWAP.  I would end up with lots of interchangeable pieces but from different designs as opposed to just a few designs interpreted several times in multiple fabrics.  Opinions on this question are very welcome!

If you want to guarantee finishing in the time frame and you have relatively lminited time to sew, choose simple pieces and multiples of the same pattern in different fabrics. You can achieve all the pieces that way.
If that would actually be unsatisfactory to you personally, then sew the more complex pieces you have planned, but be clever about the order so you create whole outfits either from the new pieces or combining a new item with something you already have (I try to always do this). That way if you don't complete all the garments you'll still get a lot of use out of the ones that you did manage to do.
If you have lots of time and want to do complex garments and are good to sticking to a plan/scheme/colourway then go for the whole shebang.

I know that I can't spend enough time on sewing to get the complex pieces done so I do more volume of simpler style, I also group by colourway. I have done lots of SWAPs which completed in time but none of them won the board's votes as they are practical/boring/simple. For me this may be a combination of personality and training. My day job is delivering IT projects to cost and time, that operate successfully but don't do anything extra beyond the basic spec.

So I think it is down to how many of your complex garments you can realistically complete in the timeframe, and if sewing those garments to high quality is more important than the time frame.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2017, 10:24:38 PM »
In project management there's something called the Triple Constraint

This balances off time, costs and scope against each other.
In SWAP I think these turn out to be
time - the length of time for the SWAP contest
cost - project resources, of fabric, but in reality the human resources part  ie the amount of sewing time you have available to complete the garments
scope - the 'rules' and your interpretation thereof.

time - is fixed, but you can choose to sew in a longer timeframe (e.g. multiple 6PACs)
cost - here you need to be realistic about how many garments you can complete in a month, and therefore over the swap period. You may have committments that mean this is not practical
scope - the rules can be met with simple or more complex schemes.

You can choose to flex these components and still achieve the goal.
time - you take longer but have exactly the pieces you want
cost - you rearrange your life to have some sewing weekends, spend less time online and more in the sewing room
scope - you can't or don't chose to flex the other areas so you meet the rules with a simpler scheme which will be achievable in your available sewing time.