Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69644 times)

Offline peggyjo

• Subscribed Member
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2017, 10:05:24 PM »
Lyn-J -- may I steal your simplified rules?  I have trouble remaining focused on just about anything these days.  I love your streamlined list -- I think I could maybe even stay on track with that!   ;D

Offline Lyn-J

• O/T Politics
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2017, 10:19:48 PM »
Of course you can peggyjo  :)

Indigo I love the colours you have chosen!

Offline peggyjo

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2017, 11:49:05 PM »
Much thanks, Lyn-J!  :D

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2017, 12:26:03 AM »
Squeee! Rules and Plans!

I started a long post about my SWAP options, then lost it.

Summary: I am going to find it hard to follow the color rules as I am sewing exclusively from stash and have also set myself the task of moving away from solids and predictability.

However, I am the designer!  I am one of those who consider pink a neutral :)

I love Sonja Phillip's style, and use of color/pattern to give variety to a very simple wardrobe silhouette.

I've got some basics in blue and brown, so those will be my two neutrals. I have 2 pairs of pants planned, at least one tunic/top, and one sweater of sorts. After that it is all up in the air.

I've got some very precious blue floral fabric that has been in and out of the closet for 25 years, time to let it shine.

And this time I'm not moving house in the middle of SWAP!
Wendy

Offline cathyd

• O/T Politics
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2017, 12:58:35 AM »
I've been lurking the site for years and watching the SWAP thinking it's something I should do some day.   I am ready to join this year's SWAP.

I am very good at making plans but not so good at following through with them. I love the idea of the individual threads to post thoughts and progress. 

My plan will be for a casual everyday wardrobe.  My neutrals will be black and denim blue and the plan will definately include jeans as that's what I wear most.

Cathy

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2017, 05:29:50 AM »
This year I intend to actually make the Alabama Chanin style cardigan I have had on my wishlist for ages now, since it fits so well with this years structure...

Fantastic!  I'll be keen to hear about your progress.  I've been thinking of making an AC style garment and started dabbling in some of the AC techniques.  The cotton tape/ribbon embroidery was one I'd like to do but I don't think it will fit into my SWAP.

Reading about how you are prepping your fabric got me thinking that I might warp up the loom and do some weaving.  I weave very slow so it might take me until January before there is enough fabric to make a top from.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2017, 06:08:37 AM »
I might warp up the loom and do some weaving.  I weave very slow so it might take me until January before there is enough fabric to make a top from.
I encourage you to go for it! How wonderful and unique it would be do have some coordinating handwoven fabric to stitch up...
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2017, 08:32:32 AM »
Another pointer for newbies - there's no need to prepare a complete plan before the beginning of SWAP or to stick to it once the sewing time starts.  Some people like to start with a plan and stay with it.  But that isn't required.  Some people want a detailed plan, some people just want a general concept of the effect they're aiming for, and some people like things to develop over time.  Most people keep changing their mind about what they want in their collection right until the last minute. 

There's a starting date and a finishing date, and some 'rules' about the end product.  But that's it.  How you get from beginning to end is up to you.  That's one of the reasons why following all the thoughts, decisions and makes can be so interesting.  Though there's also no 'rule' about taking part in the discussion.  Some people like to be public and some private about the process they go through.  Some people appear at the last minute having said very little previously about what they're making.  There are good surprises for us all throughout.

Oh ! Lisanne ! This lit a lightbulb. As I'm planning a 6PAC with a navy core of four, I could sew the navy items inside the SWAP time frame and then see if it can be the starting point of an early spring wardrobe (which I need more than a winter one)

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »
Melinda B said
- I would never wear an outfit that was the same shade for bottoms, top, and layer.  So I'll need to keep an eye on the shades of colour. 

I probably wouldn't either however I like having all three pieces so I can wear an inner column - top and botton the same colour with a contrast layer or just accessories, or an outer column - layer and bottom the same colour with any contrast top.

Offline Lyn-J

• O/T Politics
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »
Melinda B said
- I would never wear an outfit that was the same shade for bottoms, top, and layer.  So I'll need to keep an eye on the shades of colour. 

I probably wouldn't either however I like having all three pieces so I can wear an inner column - top and botton the same colour with a contrast layer or just accessories, or an outer column - layer and bottom the same colour with any contrast top.

me neither
It just wouldn't be a working wardrobe for me.
All the "official neutrals" are very draining on me. I did think about doing 3 tops/bottoms the same colour, but that is a bit bland.

At the moment I'm toying with the idea of doing tint/hue/shade of the same colour blue. As this is a grown up SWAP and we can make our own decisions. I hope this is acceptable(?) The SWAP must work for me otherwise there is no point.

I would really like to learn how to wear two colours together. green/orange blue/burgundy rust/olive.
Some can carry this off, but I would just look as if I got dressed in the dark  :(

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2017, 02:55:13 PM »
It occurs to me that you don't need all 3 pieces to include a top if you don't want to - so you could have trousers/pants and leggings and a cardigan in a dark neutral, and only wear them with colourful tops from the accent section.
Similarly if you have a light neutral that you wouldn't wear as a bottom you could have two tops and a cardigan from it.

Here's a go then:-
Choose two neutral colors
Add one accent color and two prints OR two accent colors and one print
Make at least three garments from each neutral color
Make at least one garment from each accent color
Make at least one garment from each print
Create multiple outfits of at least two garments that work for your personal style
Each garment must work with a minimum of two outfits

Neutral colours
Navy and ivory, but you don't like navy by your face or ivory for trousers.

Navy tailored trousers/pants
Dark denim pull on jeans
Navy cardigan jacket in a sweater knit

Ivory tee shirt
Ivory eyelet pull on blouse
Ivory cardiwrap

Accent colour rose pink
Ivory and rose pink floral knit top
Ivory and rose pink stripe knit top
Rose pink knit top

You have two 'spare' items
you love the stripe knit, so buy some more and make a loose kimono cardigan/top
you decide you want an ivory knit shell to wear under some of the other things

You have all your pieces, and just add a simple infinity scarf from some rose pink chiffon you picked up.

Collection made :-)

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2017, 03:08:52 PM »
Sew Ruthie Sews,
You have simplified the concept so beautifully, it almost makes me want to throw my own plans out the window!  There is so much to like in your idea, most importantly being how achievable it is.  My own plan seems to feature several pieces that involve complex sewing and which I know will take quite a bit of time to make.  This isn't a bad thing but it is important for me to be realistic about the challenge I am undertaking.
Dagmar

Offline Lyn-J

• O/T Politics
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
Ruthie - that sounds lovely - I hope you are going to make that!
thanks tor the cardi tip
now I'm thinking Coat, pencil skirt trousers in one neutral.
cardi, silky top and cotton blouse in the other, similar colours - different textures - that's better!

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2017, 04:59:13 PM »
Ruthie, that is an excellent illustration of following the rules but not doing the core-3/4 type wardrobe. Thanks for posting it!

I'm another one who is sort of stuck on finding the "right" way (for me) to allocate my neutral pieces. On the one hand, I could use a layer, top, bottom in each of my neutrals. On the other hand, I definitely wouldn't wear all three together in a single color, especially if they are all solids. And now, looking at my fabrics, I am not so sure that I would wear many of my navy pieces with the black. A few of the possible combinations would work, definitely. But at this point, I guess I still want to maximize total number of wearable combinations, so "a few" won't cut it.

So, I'll stew over this a bit longer before starting my thread. At first, I was like, oh yeah, I can do this! But I think I envisioned using more prints, so I'll have to have a re-think. Eventually I'll figure it out.

I must add -- I am LOVING everyone's plans so far! I may have to take notes. :)

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2017, 05:43:40 PM »
I agree that I likely would never wear a neutral top and bottom in the same color together.  Perhaps a navy velvet top with stonewashed jeans, but that would be the extent of it.  Even though I know the column of color is supposed to be slimming, it just feels very drab on me, especially when done in one of the traditional neutrals.  My typical outfit formula includes one neutral, one accent color (or different neutral), and a print that ties the other two pieces together.  Or, if I am wearing all solids, I like using a print scarf or multicolored necklace to tie it all together.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2017, 09:17:05 PM »
I am getting closer to understanding what I want to sew... I've just spent the afternoon with a pile of potential SWAP fabrics. I've been standing in front of the mirror, draping different combinations into approximations of outfits. I now remember why I picked some of these for last year's SWAP - I really like them! :D

So I have 8-9 garments and their fabrics chosen for certain. Yay! But now I'm trying to decide which of my fabrics might be prints versus neutrals. ??? I know that I am the designer, but I am curious how these read to other folks. Opinions would be very appreciated.

Obviously the bright black/white plaid at the bottom would be a print, and the low-contrast navy/black plaid above it would be a neutral.

I would also count the blue/black/white plaid in the corner as a print. Not sure about the others!

BTW I would happily wear any of these with the other and now that I see them in this pic, I'd like to include them all! ;D

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2017, 09:33:17 PM »
Mary - what a lovely grouping of plaid fabrics! In my opinion, I agree with you that the high contrast center bottom one would be a print, and the one above it a neutral... in addition, I also think that the large swatch on the righthand side reads as a neutral.  The dark/white windowpane check in the bottom left, IMHO is a print, and the two above it can go either way, depending on what you need for your SWAP to balance. I would call the pinstripe one a neutral, though as I intend to use some pinstripe indigo fabric in my "neutral" category... I keep reminding myself that it isn't a requirement that the fabric be a solid color, just that it reads as neutral in the wardrobe, compared to the accent colors and the prints that you are also using in your SWAP. 

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2017, 09:36:16 PM »
Dagmar - that photo you have chosen for your inspiration is just gorgeous! Did you find the photo first, and then decide on your colors, or did you pick some colors that you love and then manage to find an image that encompasses most of them??? You have inspired me to try and hunt down some "inspiring images" of my color scheme...

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2017, 10:10:58 PM »
Thank you Indigotiger! 

I started off thinking of colours that I like to wear but don't wear enough and then I googled complimentary matches to those colours.  For example when I googled teal I stumbled on both images and many Pinterest boards focused on the colour for home decor and for clothing. By narrowing my search, I started to look at Pinterest boards.  Many of them had Pantone colour charts and when I found this one, I knew I was off to the races.  I found it really helpful and incredibly easy to do.  I am going to post another one to my SWAP thread which has the claret teal combo in it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:15:12 PM by dagmaro »
Dagmar

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2017, 11:58:02 PM »
While I was thinking of solids for the most part (based on looking at various designer collections) there is nothing to preclude you from using a pinstripe or similar fabric as your neutral. I think the key is if you would wear a print with it and it reads neutral/mostly solid.

To my eyes, the three top fabrics of M lambie read neutral and could easily work with a print.  The two bottom ones and right one are more questionable to varying degrees.  But after all you are the designer. I wonder what accent color would really make those pop? I always like a nice red with blacks.

If you think about men's suits with pin stripes and such if you stand a few feet away they read black or gray or blue or whatever other colors they wear.  And while most men wear solid colored shirts with their suits I always preferred something like a pin striped shirt or the super tiny checks (I'm sure there is another name for that but it escapes me at the moment).

Last night I spent some time looking at the original SWAP from the Australian Stitches magazine and the fabrics were actually quite limited similar to this years rules.  The difference was that it dictated how many tops, bottoms, etc.   I personally don't like that much matchy match.  It often looks like you wear the same outfit everyday.

... just some random thoughts

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2017, 12:33:10 AM »
Thanks so much for the input, Alison and mudcat! :)  :-*

I would wear any of the top three as neutrals (wear them all with prints), not a question. I would also use the one on the right as a neutral IRL, although I acknowledge that it doesn't really read as a solid. And, although I value the independence that is encouraged by this year's rules, I actually like to follow the rules. Figuring out how to meet the challenge is part of the fun, I think.

The lower left plaid was already my first choice of print for my SWAP. I will probably omit the higher contrast black/white as it's bolder than the other fabrics I want to use. If I do use it, it would definitely supply the "pop"! I'm also not sure about the one on the top left as it's shiny and none of the others are. Well, at least I have options. I can make the final decisions later.

Alison, I love the color inspiration images you posted! I'm a big fan of Rothko's work. I've copied dagmaro and you -- I've also found an image that kind of illustrates my own SWAP ideas.

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #196 on: November 03, 2017, 01:04:26 AM »
Those are lovely exciting colours.  By chance I've just borrowed from a quilting friend a book called 'Intuitive Color & Design' by Jean Wells - full of stunning nature photos and colour groupings extracted from them.
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #197 on: November 03, 2017, 01:26:26 AM »
I love the two artworks on your thread Indigotiger!  They really help me to visualize how your colours will work together.  Somehow a stack of fabric, while inspiring does not unleash as much creative energy in me as creative images that show colour balance, hue/shades and tones etc.  Looking forward to seeing your image M lambie
Dagmar

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2017, 02:41:15 AM »
Wow, brilliant inspiration images, Dagmar, Mary, indigotiger (hope I'm not forgetting anyone). You've got me thinking about what my inspiration image would be...

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2017, 02:47:58 AM »
Ooh yes! I love the art images along with SWAP plans!  Stephanie, I'll join you in thinking about an art piece to represent my SWAP plan!
Wendy

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2017, 03:00:40 AM »
It's a great idea, Wendy!

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2017, 03:30:10 AM »
I'm enjoying seeing all the plans.  Almost makes me want to do SWAP. I may do a 6 pack instead since I have some UFO goals for the rest of 2017.

I'm also happy to see that many of you are embracing the role of the designer. I can hardly wait to see  your garments in a few months.

Offline Medea

• You'll find my Wardrobe Diary at
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »
It's really inspiring to see your pictures Treefrog, Dagmar, Indigotiger and Mary. I'll alse see if I can find anything that can represent my swap.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:30:20 AM by Medea »
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

Offline Medea

« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2017, 10:29:04 AM »
SWAP project timeframe

Ruthie: I really like the thought of writing down each step in a timeframe. I'll do the same

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2017, 11:26:42 AM »
I am curious how these read to other folks. Opinions would be very appreciated.

here is my input (as I am totally open about non-traditional neutrals...). To me the top row, three from left are all neutrals. Read as solid, read as plain, read as going with everything. The two DARKer plaids are your prints (right and lower left). The pop/accent is your contrasty black and white plaid center bottom.

I could easily see just going with this set of fabrics. I don't think you even need to add a color (red, for example.) The blk/white plaid is enough of a pop. And everything fits together nicely, especially if you are open to combining different plaids/patterns, which I think you could easily do with this mix.

mta, another thought. you only need 2 neutrals. You can choose any two of these. Both darker ones can be your neutrals; they have different textures. Or use a light and a dark. And if you think the black/white plaid is too much accent, use the grey as your accent. It will pop enough against the other fabrics. The result would be a very dark, very low contrast collection...but nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:49:20 AM by bessiecrocker »

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »
M Lambie, I think bessiecrocker is on to something.  As you only need 2 neutrals, and looking at your inspiration painting, I would use the 2 top row dark colours as your neutrals and use the lighter pinstripe as a pop accent which I feel it does against the darkness of the others.  In my view, if the majority of your collection will be be darker (again, like the art piece), anything lighter will really stand out.
Dagmar

Offline Lisa Laree

• Subscribed Member
    • Sew Random
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »
Back in the day, on the old Timmel Fabrics SWAP, a print (or plaid or otherwise multi-colored pattern) was a requirement.  I found it much easier to coordinate the swap if I began with the print...and then chose the neutrals from that.

So now I'm going to go Stash diving and see what prints I've got that have been languishing....  then I'll start planning:-D

Offline Medea

« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2017, 02:16:59 PM »
Sorry Ruthie that I posted this on your board. I hope the moderator's will remove it.

SWAP project timeframe

Ruthie: I really like the thought of writing down each step in a timeframe. I'll do the same

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2017, 02:54:29 PM »
.... on the old Timmel Fabrics SWAP, a print ...was a requirement.  I found it much easier to coordinate the swap if I began with the print...
I’m a bit color challenged and I too find coordination by starting with print to be the easiest.  I see color just dont understand how to use it. 

I think folks speaking up are trying to use their stash.  Just curious, are you  not finding prints in your stash?
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #209 on: November 03, 2017, 03:35:45 PM »
from sdBev:
I think folks speaking up are trying to use their stash.  Just curious, are you not finding prints in your stash?
Bev - I went back to look at my stash of fabrics, and on all the shelves I have only a few fabrics that I would call "prints", like maybe six or seven out of everything I have (and three of those are vintage bark cloth designated for kitchen aprons). I do have a few stripes and plaids, but the bulk of my fabric collection is solids of various textures or "subtle solids"... maybe that is why I am so fond of surface embellishment?

from Medea
Ruthie, and Medea - this is genius! I will follow in your footsteps, this way I can fit my sewing into my schedule in a more timely way...